Does the Moto G 3rd Gen and Moto X Pure 2015 work well with Tmo?

xenon2000

I am really tempted by the low cost Motorola Moto G 3rd Gen.

Has anyone used the Moto G 3rd Gen or Moto X Pure 2015 phone on the T-mobile network? If yes, here are some questions:

1. Does the wifi hotspot app built into Android 5 work with your T-mobile account? Good speeds? No rooting.

2. Do you get 4G LTE or is it HSPA+. What speeds do you get?

3. Do you get band 12 support as the phone says it supports Band 12.

4. Voice and MMS work well?

And if you know about VoLTE support. Does this phone do VoLTE with Tmobile? Other thread seem to say no. Not sure this is important to me. I will research further.

Either way, I can't seem to find anyone that uses this phone with T-mobile. And the few on other sites, only talk about how it "works" with Tmo. But I need more details than that.

All replies

• hey xenon2000! thanks for reaching out!

Here are the supported frequencys  for T-Mobile LTE Service  T-Mobile network bands & technologies

And here are the supported frequencys for the Moto G (3rd gen)

4G bandsLTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800) - XT1541
        LTE band 2(1900), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 17(700) - XT1540
        LTE band 2(1900), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 12(700), 17(700), 25(1900), 26(850), 41(2500) - XT1548

source :Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) - Full phone specifications.

As for the VoLTE here is all the information regarding supported devices on VoLTE .The specified item was not found.

From what I can see the device will work on T-Mobiles LTE network. And i see no reason why MMS/Voice should not work.  If you need any help with the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) setup guide please Contact Us for help

• xenon2000

Thanks emedina24, while I appreciate your trying to help. That is all information that is listed in multiple sources. And also when I called Motorola support. Everyone CLAIMS it will work. But this question is to find people that are actually using either of these 2 phones on T-Mobile right now. I want to hear from those people. I would rather not be the tester myself. Sure, the phone has free returns. But just a pain to deal with that. So far I keep finding people like me that want to buy one of these phones, but can't seem to find many people that has actually done it yet and used it with T-mobile yet. And the few that did. Just says "It works". But they are not responding to questions to explain that.

• rwwl

I just brought home an XT1541 from Europe and I am finding it only connects to Edge. Folks at the T-Mobile shop were totally clueless, so I came home and found this thread.

If anyone has a fix for this, shoot me a reply.

• I can help you out with your questions as I'm currently using a 2015 Moto X Pure Edition.  Yes, it works flawlessly.

1) Yes, hotspot works out of the box.

2) The Moto X supports band 2 (PCS) and band 4 (AWS) HSPA and LTE; 25Mbps down on HSPA+ (DC AWS), and 50-65Mbps down on LTE.  Speeds depend wholly on the available bandwidth and licenses T-Mobile leases in your region.

3) Band 12 is not enabled in Lollipop on the X Pure, but is going through T-Mobile's certification with Marshmallow.  NOTE: Band 12 was disabled in the Moto G at T-Mobile's request, as the phone lacked VoLTE.

4) Both work fine

The Marshmallow update for the 2015 Moto X will add band 12, HD voice/VoLTE for T-Mobile, E911, and Wifi calling support.  Not sure about the Moto G.

• xenon2000

Awesome details! Thanks a ton for posting this great information. I have a Moto G 3rd Gen in the mail right now. Was going to test that first before buying the Moto X Pure for myself. But now I think I will just get the Moto X Pure 2015 now. Not sure I really need band 12 anyways. I have lived this long without it. And maybe it will come with Marshmallow like you mentioned.

With any luck the Marshmallow update will be soon and bring all those features you mention. The HD calling and Wifi calling would be nice to have.

• xenon2000

I can now confirm that the Moto G 3rd Gen also works great with Tmobile! Fast Wifi at home. LTE is fast. Hotspot works perfectly and fast. SMS, TXT, phone, etc. Very happy with the Moto G 3rd Gen on the T-mobile network. This would purchased as an upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S2.

So very happy to finally get a new phone that wasn't from Tmobile but still works great with Tmo.

• tilp773

Hi xenon2000. I just bought a Motorola Moto G 3rd generation and was not sure if it works with T-Mobile.. I have not opened the box yet  but just tried to find out if the phone is compatible. When I accessed the " Activation set up" on T-Mobile and checked the device and entered the phone's IMEI number it said "T-Mobile does not recognize the phone". So, I was worried that I had to return the phone and bought another one.

Now it is a relief to hear that you did not have problems with the Moto G 3rd generation on T-Mobile

I have had MOTO G3 for two years and have never been able to use WIFI calling because it is not available on this phone unfortunately.