Confusing Swappa and T-Mobile IMEI status

Hello.  I purchased a used iPhone 5C about a month ago from Craigslist.  The IMEI was clean, but I didn't realize the phone was financed.  I spoke to a T-Mobile rep, and she was very honest about telling me that there was a slight chance that the seller would continue to pay their bill but that it was unlikely. 

I kept the phone and checked Swappa and the T-Mobile IMEI checker every few days.  Last week, both Swappa and the T-Mobile checker showed the phone as being ready for activation for several consecutive days.  Before activating it, I checked again earlier this week.  For unclear reasons, the phone is now blocked (not blacklisted).  How could the phone go from being ready for activation to now being blocked?  

Thanks in advance.

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Confusing Swappa and T-Mobile IMEI status

The IMEI checker will say if the device is financed or not

IMEI Status Check | See if Your Phone Works on T-Mobile 4G Network

Now if the person stopped paying or reported the phone stolen then only the original owner can do something to fix the problems due to privacy reasons.

• Right.  When I purchased the phone, the T-Mobile checker originally said it was financed.  After a few weeks, the status changed to ready for activation (meaning it had presumably been paid off financed).  Now the status is that I can't use it with the T-Mobile network. 

It hasn't been blacklisted, and other IMEI checkers say it can be used w/ other networks (such as AT&T).  If the device had been reported stolen, presumably it'd be blacklisted w/ at least AT&T, too, right?

• phongvu4172

I have same Problem with my iPhone 6s Plus,

If there show still under payment I wont buy

T-Mobile show good to activate

the seller has Insurance on the phone, then try to get replacement from insurance-> old phone go Black List

+ Never Buy used T-mobile phone from Craiglist, ebay, Amazon......

+ Never Buy new iPhone then financial from T-mobile (they locked SIM card also). do it at Apple Store.

+ Buy used iPhone from Verizon, AT&T, then use it on T-mobile is my choice now an then.

good luck to every one.

• tidbits

You buy it anywhere that is locked you'll get the same results. Remember those carriers finance phones also.

• phongvu4172

I have no problem with many many Verizon iPhone, AT&T phone,

when I check SWAPPA at time I buy and if it clear will clear, if its black list will BL,

with Tmobile device, when you buy all the site show clear, then after few day it go Black list.

T-mobile IMEI check does give me many troubles,

****** don't check your IMEI phone at , they fool you, trick you, give you trouble,

****** stay away from iPhone sell from T-Mobile ( new or use)

- Buy device from Verizon is Best, and AT&T is good, check swappa and you will safe.

-Buy new device, pay full price at apple store you have unlocked phone, Buy at T mobile you have SIM locked phone => this bad ... real bad.

even if you want to finance the phone, do it at Apple Store.

all Iphone sell for Verizon is unlocked SIM, all iphone paid off at Apple store is Unlocked SIM

I will Never buy any device through Tmobile !

good luck

• tidbits

phongvu4172 wrote:

I have no problem with many many Verizon iPhone, AT&T phone,

when I check SWAPPA at time I buy and if it clear will clear, if its black list will BL,

with Tmobile device, when you buy all the site show clear, then after few day it go Black list.

T-mobile IMEI check does give me many troubles,

****** don't check your IMEI phone at , they fool you, trick you, give you trouble,

****** stay away from iPhone sell from T-Mobile ( new or use)

- Buy device from Verizon is Best, and AT&T is good, check swappa and you will safe.

-Buy new device, pay full price at apple store you have unlocked phone, Buy at T mobile you have SIM locked phone => this bad ... real bad.

even if you want to finance the phone, do it at Apple Store.

all Iphone sell for Verizon is unlocked SIM, all iphone paid off at Apple store is Unlocked SIM

I will Never buy any device through Tmobile !

good luck

If it isn't it CAN and DOES get blacklisted.  If you go to their customer boards you hear the exact same thing you are putting here.  It comes down to the seller what happens to the phone after it is sold.

One could sell the phone and at the time it could be clear the person could cancel his plan and go somewhere else, or report it stolen and viola the device is locked.  Sometimes it'll take up to 3 months before it is locked as they do give a timeframe to pay the final bill.  Just because it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and just because it happened to you on T-Mobile doesn't mean they intentionally do it.