Android Smartphones

hi all

i have my galaxy s3 with me for some time now and im thinking of getting another device to use. i am not planning on getting another samsung phone, instead looking to buy Anon-popular Android devices. i have tried Huawei before and proved it's a decent phone, but im curious about One Plus and the Xiaomi brand.

any of you guys tried using any of these brands and can give any feedback? i would appreciate it a lot.

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Android Smartphones

Be leary of OnePlus. Simply because they cut a lot of corners to keep the price point low. Their CS is atrocious. If you do get one hope you don't have trouble with it. It took me 5 weeks to get a replacement. When that one had the same problem it took me 3 months to get a refund. I had to fight with them to get. When I first initially talked to them they told me they'll send me a new replacement instead of me sending it back and not giving a refund. They told me 2-3 days. 5 weeks later they said I was past the return period and couldn't issue a refund.  I am not the only person who went through this. Someone actually wanted a refund and stuck with it. Nearly 5 months later he finally got it. There's a lot more stories like that out there.

Asus makes a decent phone. The Zen 2 looks nice and promising. If Asus support for that phone like their motherboards. Then I could buy into it.

Man there's a lot out there.

• Re: Android Smartphones

That's bad experience, now having doubts with OnePlus not just with the device but with the support that i'll get. i am also reading good reviews for the Zenfone series, i need to research on this, thanks for the feedback!

• miket

2 weeks late, here.   IF you don't get a TM branded phone, you won't have the wifi calling feature builtin.  Or TM support

• wingedkinetics

Android hardware in generally has a really big case of "you get what you pay for". I find that not only do I save money in the long run by going with a bigger brand and keeping it longer, I spend a lot less time being disappointed in what it can't do.

• miket

I agree.  Most people probably (like myself) only use 10% of what a top of the line phone can do.  However, it might have ONE feature that's really useful.  In my case, I discovered that Lg G4's  Optical Stabilization feature allows me to finally take pictures.  I've had a hand treemor for several years.

MS Word became the business standard - even though most of us only make use of a tiny fraction of its features.

• wingedkinetics

Absolutely. You know why I picked the Note 5? The stylus. All that it can do and that was the deciding factor.

For work I'm an Office poweruser. I'm probably one of the few people who takes advantage of most/all of what the entire suite can do. I know exactly what you're talking about. Good analogy!

• tidbits

I actually use almost none of the fancy features lol. I write the code for a lot of things for my work place. So I need a devices to test on. Doesn't matter the prices really. I just get the high end stuff because those are the most common.

• wingedkinetics

Avoiding compatibility issues when coding is worth its weight in gold. I wrapped up a workbook last week only to learn that the user was still running Excel 2007 and refused to upgrade.

• tidbits

Hey we have a department that still uses XPS even though we have the licensing to move them up. We have them "cut off" from the outside world lol

• miket

We still use Word 2003.  Don't have any problems reading/editing docs created on newer versions.   Nothing really involved in docs - just basics. 

I do upgrade phone OS - but wait a couple weeks, to make sure users haven't reported bugs.  As far as Win 10, will wait for a while.  Win 7 works for us.  (I just found out new laptop I ordered will have Win 10 and not 7 as advertised.)

I keep phones 3-4 years (usually)  computers 5 or so.

• Re: Android Smartphones

i really appreciate your response miket  and wingedkinetics!! that ONE feature / deciding factor really got me.

I am really looking into getting a phone with good camera quality. and even though it's not my priority, it would also help if it supports office documents. Thanks guys! (btw i can't mention you miket, sorry)