The BlackBerry Q10 freezes at 100% or on the loading screen immediately after the software update.
Do not perform a handset exchange. It will not resolve the issue
BlackBerry found that the devices were caching Twitter social networking pictures. So after the update, potentially thousands of pictures needed to be updated in the database, causing it to take several hours to complete.
|Software version affected||10.1.0.4780|
|Software version resolved||N/A|
To fix the device freezing, follow these steps:
Device & network steps
- Important: If you have large amounts of data on the device, it could take up to 1 hour before the device fully boots.
- Attempt to use BlackBerry Link to reload the software.
- If BlackBerry Link does not detect the device, force a software reload (Windows PC Only):
- Close BlackBerry Link (and BlackBerry Desktop Software) if installed.
- Detach all BlackBerry smartphones, including the BlackBerry 10 smartphone that cannot be booted up.
- Using Internet Explorer, navigate to http://www.BlackBerry.com/updates.
- Scroll down the page and click the Check for Updates button.
- Install any plugins as directed and wait until you see Select a device to connect.
- Connect the BlackBerry 10 smartphone that cannot be booted up.
- Hold the power button for 10 seconds until the BlackBerry smartphone turns off
- Press the power button again to power it on.
- A prompt will appear and the BlackBerry smartphone will show in the drop down list shortly after the LED lights up red.
- Note:USB: UNKNOWN or USB: BlackBerry (PIN) may also be displayed.
- Click the OK button within 15 seconds to continue.
- A dialog will be displayed stating Checking for BlackBerry Device Software updates.
- The BlackBerry 10 smartphone will now power itself off after 120 seconds.
- Shortly after the 120 seconds, the BlackBerry smartphone LED should turn green.
- Continue to wait after the LED turns green and a prompt will display to install BlackBerry Device Software.
- Follow the prompts to install the BlackBerry Software and once the installation is complete, the smartphone will boot up and should be fully recovered.