Learn how to check the software version and see official versions for the Samsung Sidekick 4G. Find out more on this page:
Beginning November 14, the T-Mobile Sidekick 4G receives a a software update to T839UVKJ2. This update provides features and improvements:
Check the software version
To check the current software version, follow these steps:
- From any Home screen, press the Menu key.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap About phone.
- Read the Firmware (Android) version and the Baseband version.
Note: For software versions, see: Software overview - T-Mobile Sidekick 4G.
Your software is up to date. There are no updates available.
This document will be updated if and when new software is available.
Your phone can update to software version [version number]:
If the update fails, see: Software update troubleshooting.
Your phone has non-T-Mobile software, and it is unsupported. The manufacturer and T-Mobile cannot update your software.
Requirements to update
To be able to update to the current software version, the below requirements must be met:
- Device is running Android version 2.2.1 / Baseband version T839UVKJ2
- More than 50% battery life
- Data or Wi-Fi connection
- 12 MB available memory
Software update: Automatic (OTA)
Update automatically Over-The-Air (OTA)
This software update will be pushed to your phone on November 14. Your phone will notify you when it is ready to update. If your phone has not received an OTA message, see Software update: Download below.
After receiving the OTA notification, follow these steps:
Over-the-air updates are sent to devices periodically in order to address bugs, correct known issues, update operating system or provide a better user experience through enhanced device functionality or features. Customers cannot initiate these software updates. When new software becomes available and is delivered to the device, the device displays a prompt asking the customer to update the handset.
Software update: Download
Download and install software update
You can download and install the software update:
Update software from the phone
To check for updates and download the update from the [OEM] servers, follow these steps:
- Check new Documents and Known issues.
- If you do not find a document, perform a master reset.
- If the issue is not resolved, search for a discussion in the Sidekick 4G space to add your example.
- If you cannot find an existing discussion, start a new one.
Update software from a computer
To download updates for your phone and install them using a computer, follow these steps:
To manually update the device to the latest software version, follow these steps:
- Download the most recent version of Kies Mini by visiting http://tinyurl.com/KiesMini1.
Note: Save the file to the Desktop for easy access.
- Double-click the Kies Mini file. The program self extracts.
- Select the desired Language and Location.
- Click Next.
- Read the license agreement.
- Select the check box for "I accept..." .
- Click Next.
- When the process is complete, click Finish.
- Insert the USB data cable into the phone and then into an available port on the computer.
- Select Samsung Kies on the phone when prompted.
- Once the computer has recognized the device, open the Kies Mini application. After a few moments, Kies Mini indicates that a software update is available.
- Click Phone Upgrade.
- Read the caution statements, and select the check box for "I have read and understood...".
- Click the Upgrade
- Kies Mini contacts the server and downloads the update. This may take several minutes. Then Kies Mini begin updates the device.
Important: The phone screen may change state or appear to reboot during the process. DO NOT remove the device from the USB cable or restart the computer until the update is complete. Doing so can permanently damage the device.
- When the installation is complete, click Ok to finish.
- Wait until the phone is finished restarting and the Android Home screen displays before disconnecting the device.