Learn how to set up and use Wi-Fi calling, the 911 address, and the connection preference on the BlackBerry Bold 9780.
Register the 911 address
To use Wi-Fi calling, you must first register your 911 address at my.t-mobile.com. If you do not, you may see a REG09 error. To learn how to register your 911 address, see: 911 addresses: My T-Mobile.
Set phone to use Wi-Fi or mobile networks
To set the connection preference for the phone to use Wi-Fi calling or mobile networks, follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, scroll to and select Options.
- Scroll to and select Networks and Connections.
- Scroll to and select Mobile Network.
- In the Connection Preference drop-down box, choose from the following:
- Mobile Networks Only
- Mobile Network Preferred
- Wi-Fi Only
- Wi-Fi Preferred
Turn on and connect
Turn on Wi-Fi and connect to network
To use Wi-Fi calling (UMA), you must first turn on Wi-Fi and connect to a network. To turn on Wi-Fi and connect, follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, press the Menu key.
- Scroll to and select the Manage Connections icon.
- Scroll to Wi-Fi.
- Verify that Wi-Fi is turned on.
- In the same screen, scroll to and select Set up Wi-Fi Network.
- Select Next.
- Select Scan For Networks.
- If prompted, select Turn Wi-Fi on.
- From the list of available Wi-Fi networks, select the appropriate Wi-Fi network.
- Enter the required security key (credentials) if necessary.
- Select Connect to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
- To save the Wi-Fi network connection as a profile, select Yes from the Save this Wi-Fi Network as a Profile field.
- In the Profile Name field, enter a profile name.
- Select Next.
- Select Finish to complete the connection to an available Wi-Fi network.
Turn on Wi-Fi calling
To turn on Wi-Fi calling, follow these steps:
- If this is the first time you are using Wi-Fi calling, start with registering your 911 address and connection preference (above).
- Turn on Wi-Fi and connect to a network.
- Ensure the connection preference is set to Wi-Fi Preferred or Wi-Fi Only (above),
- The device will automatically attempt to connect to Wi-Fi Calling (UMA).