As millions have already learned, it’s easy to bring your unlocked device to T-Mobile. Most phones from other carriers will work on our network. Review the info below to set up your unlocked Android or Windows device. For Apple devices, see the Setup guide for non-T-Mobile Apple device.
To determine if a device is compatible with the T-Mobile network, follow these steps:
- Verify the device is unlocked. See Unlock your mobile wireless device.
- T-Mobile cannot provide an unlock code if the device is from another carrier. In these cases, you must contact the carrier the device was originally sold on and request an unlock code.
- Use the online compatibility checker to verify device compatibility:
- Compatible devices may not have access to our high speed 4G LTE network.
- Your device must support the frequencies used by T-Mobile.
- If the checker shows "No match found," verify the device supports frequencies used by T-Mobile.
- To determine if your device supports VoLTE and Extended Range LTE, download and use the T-Mobile BYOD Check App.
- If uncertain of what frequencies your device supports, contact the device manufacturer.
- If your device is not compatible with T-Mobile, don't worry. You can upgrade your device to a T-Mobile phone/tablet and trade in your current device. Click here to get a trade-in estimate for your device.
- Consult the device's user guide to determine which SIM card you need.
- To purchase a SIM card from T-Mobile, see Buy a SIM card.
If you are not a T-Mobile customer and need help activating your phone or tablet, choose a plan that is right for you.
Internet and picture messaging settings must be configured for the T-Mobile network. To verify, follow these steps:
- Insert the activated SIM card, turn on the device, and test opening a web page. Some devices may automatically work.
- If the Internet does not work, follow steps in BYOD T-Mobile data & APN settings.
- If the generic settings do not work, search the Non T-Mobile space for documents and discussions to help.
- If data and picture messaging are not working, contact the device manufacturer for further instructions.
Non-T-Mobile phone & software disclaimer
T-Mobile is unable to guarantee devices from other carriers or those without T-Mobile software will work on our network. For additional details, see the Non-T-Mobile phone & software disclaimer.