Help & How To
Before the iPhone can be used, it must first be activated and configured to work on the T-Mobile network. The device activation is a two step process:
- Device unbricking: Allows access to the phone menus
- Carrier update: Enables key network features and auto configures network settings.
Device activation can be completed using one of two methods. See below for the detailed steps.
Important: iPhones sold through T-Mobile come with the correct SIM card pre-installed. The SIM card number is located on the back of the box.
Device activation using iTunes (tethered):
Important: Ensure you have the latest version of iTunes and your computer has access to the internet.
- Power on the iPhone and wait until the device stops searching for signal.
- Note: This can take up to 90 seconds.
- Open iTunes and connect the bricked device to computer using the cable included in the box.
- Complete the onscreen instructions on both the computer and the iPhone until device activation is complete.
- Disconnect the iPhone.
Note: Using this method will automatically install the T-Mobile Carrier update.
Device activation using the iOS Setup Assistant (Wireless thru a Cellular or Wi-Fi network):
Note: It is recommended to complete this process over a Wi-Fi network (if available).
- Power on the device.
- Press the Home button to begin.
- Select your language from the list.
- Select your country / region from the list.
- Choose a Wi-Fi network and, if prompted, enter the password then tap Join. If Wi-Fi is not available, tap Use Cellular Connection.
- If the device is Activation Locked, enter the Apple ID and password.
- Choose to enable or disable location services and tap Next.
- Choose to setup Touch ID now or later and/or create a passcode.
- Choose one of the following and tap Next:
- Restore from iCloud Backup
- Restore from iTunes Backup
- Set Up as New iPhone
- Move Data from Android
- Follow the onscreen instructions to create / sign into an Apple ID, sign into iCloud, or connect to your computer.
Automatic device configuration with T-Mobile Carrier Update
The T-Mobile Carrier Update automatically configures the iPhone for the T-Mobile network and enables various features.
For more information on Carrier Update, such as how to download and install, see Apple iOS Software Overview.
Important: If this step is not completed, some features and services will not work.