Use these steps to complete the first use configuration and device activation for your iPhone.
Before the iPhone can be used, it must first be activated and configured to work on the T-Mobile network. The device activation is a two step process:
- Device unbricking: Allows access to the phone menus
- Carrier update: Enables key network features and auto configures network settings.
Device activation can be completed using one of two methods. See below for the detailed steps. iPhones sold through T-Mobile come with the correct SIM card pre-installed. The SIM card number is located on the back of the box.
Device activation using iTunes (tethered):
Ensure you have the latest version of iTunes and your computer has access to the internet before starting these steps.
- Power on the iPhone and wait until the device stops searching for signal. This can take up to 90 seconds.
- Open iTunes and connect the bricked device to computer using the cable included in the box.
- Complete the onscreen instructions on both the computer and the iPhone until device activation is complete.
- Disconnect the iPhone.
Using this method will automatically install the T-Mobile Carrier update.
Device activation using the iOS Setup Assistant (Wireless thru a Cellular or Wi-Fi network):
It is recommended to complete this process over a Wi-Fi network (if available).
- Power on the device.
- Press the Home button to begin.
- Select your language from the list.
- Select your country / region from the list.
- Choose a Wi-Fi network and, if prompted, enter the password then tap Join. If Wi-Fi is not available, tap Use Cellular Connection.
- If the device is Activation Locked, enter the Apple ID and password.
- Choose to enable or disable location services and tap Next.
- Choose to setup Touch ID now or later and/or create a passcode.
- Choose one of the following and tap Next:
- Restore from iCloud Backup
- Restore from iTunes Backup
- Set Up as New iPhone
- Move Data from Android
- Follow the onscreen instructions to create / sign into an Apple ID, sign into iCloud, or connect to your computer.