If your device has signal bars but doesn't show a data connection icon beside the signal bars, it may not be connecting automatically. Let's find out why.
Follow steps below to troubleshoot if a device doesn't show a data icon (3G, 4G, or LTE). If you need help with steps on your device, visit the Devices page, select your device, and look under Help Topics.
Did you know?
- Building construction can affect signal strength and connectivity. Move outdoors or to a window to check for improvements.
- Your location in a building may also affect your connection. If you're in the basement, move up a floor or head outside to check for improvements.
- Check the signal indicators at the top of the screen:
- See the Coverage map to ensure your area has T-Mobile 3G, 4G, or LTE coverage.
- Restart the device. Restart your device regularly to reconnect to the network, especially after travelling.
- Turn off Wi-Fi to ensure you're using T-Mobile network data.
- Your device must support 3G, 4G, or LTE. (see your Devices "Tech Specs" page)
- Check the device settings:
- "Data roaming" is turned on. (see your Devices "Network, APN, and VoLTE" page.)
- "Mobile data," "Data," or "Packet data" settings (whichever are available) are turned on. (see your Devices "Network, APN, and VoLTE" page.)
- "Manual network mode" or "Network selection" is set to "Auto." (see your Devices "Network, APN, and VoLTE" page.)
- Wi-Fi Calling preference is set to "Cellular preferred." (see your Devices "Wi-Fi Calling" page.)
- For Android devices:
- For Apple iPhone:
- Reset network settings. (Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings)
- Verify the "T-Mobile Carrier Settings" are up to date. Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support
- Update the device software to the latest version. Visit the Devices page for current versions and steps.
- Remove the battery, and re-insert it.
- If the device doesn't have a removable battery, press and hold the power and volume down buttons for up to 15 seconds, until the device resets.
- If you're unsure whether your device has a removable battery, open the Devices page to find your device's Device Details, Battery help.
- Turn on the device.
- If the problem continues, please contact us to reset your connection and look at the local network in more detail for you.