If your device has signal bars but does not show a data connection next to the signal bars, it may not be connecting automatically. Let's find out why.
Follow steps below to troubleshoot if your device does not automatically connect to data (3G, 4G, or LTE) service when in a covered area. If you need help with steps on your device, visit the Devices page, select your device, and look under Help Topics for the steps.
Did you know?
- Building construction can affect the signal strength and connectivity you receive. Move outdoors or to a window to check for improvements.
- Your location in a building may change your connection. If you're in the basement, move up a floor or head outside to check for improvements.
- Check the signal indicators at the top of the screen:
- See the Coverage map to ensure your area has T-Mobile 3G, 4G, or LTE coverage.
- Restart the device. Restart your device regularly to reconnect to the network, especially after travelling.
- Turn off Wi-Fi to ensure you're using T-Mobile network data.
- Check the device settings: (If you need help, look up the instructions or Tech specs for your phone in Devices )
- Your device must support 3G, 4G, or LTE.
- Data and packet data settings are turned on.
- Data roaming is turned on.
- Wi-Fi Calling preference is set to "Cellular preferred."
- Network mode is set to "Auto."
- For Android devices: (Visit the Devices page for help with these steps.)
- Reset the device APNs to default.
- Wipe the cache partition.
- For Apple iPhone:
- Reset network settings. (Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings)
- Verify the 'T-Mobile Carrier Settings' are up to date. Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support
- Update the device software to the latest version. Visit the Devices page for current versions and steps.
- Remove the battery, and re-insert it.
- If the device doesn't have a removable battery, press and hold the power button and volume down button for up to 15 seconds, until the device resets.
- If you're unsure whether your device has a removable battery, open the Devices page to find your device's Device Details, Battery help.
- Turn on the device.
- If the problem continues, please contact us to reset your connection and look at the local network in more detail for you.