Understanding the Update
Beginning October 5, the Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G will have a software update to Android version 4.1.2/ Baseband version T699UVBOH2 via OTA and Samsung Kies. This update provides the Stagefright fix.
|Current Baseband Version||Update Status|
|This software version is current. Your device software is up to date.|
T-Mobile and Samsung will not send you a software update.
Devices with non-T-Mobile software versions are out of warranty and do not receive updates.
Check the software version
To find the software version on your device, follow these steps:
- From any Home screen, tap the Menu key.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap About device.
- View the Baseband version.
Help & How To's
Download update via OTA
Check for updates
- From the Home screen, press the Menu key.
- Touch Settings.
- Touch About device.
- Touch Software update.
- If you are not connected to Wi-Fi, you will receive a prompt to connect.
- If Wi-Fi is not available, tap on OK.
- If the update is not available, you will receive the message The device is up to date.
- Follow the on-screen prompts.
- Wait as your phone restarts and updates.
Download update via Kies
- Download the most recent version of Kies by visiting http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/ (Select the SAMSUNG Kies version compatible with the PC)
Note: Save the file to a desired location - the Desktop is recommended for easy access.
Ensure you are on the most recent Kies version. If you attempt to check for Kies updates manually through the application, older versions may not recognize that there is a new version available. Compare your version number (found in Help > Kies Info) with that available through Samsung (click the file to download, on the download screen, the file name will include 2.x.x.x.xxxxx_, this is the current version available).
- Double click the Kies file. The program will self extract, no action is required
- Select the desired Language and Location, then click Next.
- Read the license agreement, check the box for "I accept..." and click Next.
- Kies will begin the installation. No action is required.
- When the process is complete, click Finish.
Prepare the Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G
Note: USB Debugging is only needed when using a MAC to Update via Kies.
- From the Android home screen, press the Menu key and tap Settings.
- Tap Developer options.
- Tap Ok.
- Tap USB Debugging.
- Tap the Home key to exit the settings menu.
- Insert the USB data cable into the phone and then into an available port on the computer.
- Select Media device(MTP) at the phone prompt. The PC should recognize several devices and begin installation. This is normal and may take a few minutes. Unplug the data cable when completed.
Upgrade the device
Important: Verify you have backed up all of your data, including the contents of the internal (non-removable) SD card, to prevent unnecessary data loss.
- On the PC, open the Kies application.
- Connect the device to the computer using the included USB cable.
- Once Kies recognizes the device, a popup window will appear.
- Click Update.
- Read the Caution statements and select the I have read... check box.
- If desired, select Allow saving to back up the device. If not, select Proceed without saving.
- Click Start Upgrade.
- The software will download to the PC, and then to the device.
- When the update completes, the 'Firmware Upgrade Complete' window will appear.
- Click OK to confirm.
If you are experiencing any difficulty completing the software update, contact Customer Care for further assistance.