Learn what can cause a phone to become hot and what to do if this happens.
Read me first
Before following the steps below, ensure the following:
If the phone only feels warm/slightly hot in these situations, this is normal.
- Apps running in background
- When charging
- Downloading apps, data, etc.
- GPS in use
- Phone cases traps heat
- Screen staying on
- Streaming video or audio
- Video chat
- Remove device case/cover and see if this cools it down.
- Unplug the charger if the phone is fully charged.
- Close apps running in background.
- Close app and browser tabs you are not using
- Uninstall any apps you downloaded before the problem started.
- Turn off network connections you are not using
- Reduce the screen timeout.
- Remove the battery (if removable), inspect for any damage, dust, etc. and reinsert it.
- If the issue continues, test with an alternate battery.
- Most phones come with a safety feature to turn off if they get too hot.
- For additional help with these steps, visit Devices, then select your device and navigate to the specific procedure.
- If your phone gets so hot you cannot hold it, you may contact us or visit a retail store to have the phone checked out by one of our Mobile Experts.