Learn about eSIMs and how you can use them with T-Mobile.
On this page:
- Embedded SIM (eSIM) is just a physical SIM gone digital. Like a physical SIM card, an eSIM provides your connection to the T-Mobile network.
- An eSIM is built into your device just activate it with your account information rather than inserting a physical SIM.
- Some eSIM compatible phones like the iPhone XS, XR, and XS Max are also DSDS (Dual SIM Dual Standby). DSDS compatible devices can accommodate both an eSIM and a physical SIM so you can have two wireless accounts with talk, text, and data on one device.
eSIM is great for anyone who wants to use both their work and personal numbers on a single smartphone if you want to easily set up your phone with an international carrier for extended stays outside the U.S. or you just want to get rid of that physical SIM card. Plus, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon customers can get T-Mobile on their existing smartphone.
- You'll need to visit a T-Mobile retail store to activate a postpaid line on an eSIM. One of our Mobile Experts will check your device for eligibility and walk you through the setup process. Need help finding a store? Go to our T-Mobile store locator to find the store nearest you.
- If you already have T-Mobile postpaid service on your eSIM capable device using a physical SIM card and are looking to swap the service to an eSIM, you can either visit your local T-Mobile store or contact our Customer Care Experts for assistance.
- If you want to activate a new Prepaid account on your iPhone with eSIM, download and install the T-Mobile eSIM app.
- Activate your eSIM at a T-Mobile store or have one of our Experts swap your physical SIM for an eSIM.
- Make sure you have access to the internet on your device, we recommend Wi-Fi.
- If you're changing from a physical SIM to an eSIM, remove the physical SIM from your device.
- After that, download the eSIM settings using the QR code or SM-DP+ Address below.
- Find steps by choosing your Device and selecting eSIM settings in the Connection & Network drawer.
- For iPhones with eSIM, go to Settings > Cellular > Add Cellular Plan.
- SM-DP+ Address: T-MOBILE.GDSB.NET
- Activation code: [Blank]
- Confirmation code: [Blank]
If this happens by accident, no worries! We can get you set up with your eSIM again. Just stop by your T-Mobile retail store or contact our Customer Care Experts to get yourself reset.
With an eSIM compatible device, you can have two phone numbers – one in the physical SIM and one in the eSIM. If your phone is unlocked, then the physical SIM and eSIM can even be used on different carriers. Each line can use its own voice, text, and data, as determined by your carrier’s rate plan. The physical SIM can be from any wireless provider, so you could swap SIMs while on international travel, for instance. Each line has its own data plan, or you could use one line for talk & text and the other for data. Voice and text for eSIM can be eSIM is accessed through the existing phone and messaging apps that are built into your device.
More like this