Check out new features in the Android 9.0 Pie operating system.
This document shows you some of the cool new features of Pie! If you're looking to see if your device has the update or looking for steps to update your device, head on over to our Software updates page and click your device.
Longer battery life
- Battery Saver keeps your charge going longer than ever by turning off features like the Always-On display. Plus, you have more control over when it comes on.
- Adaptive Battery makes your phone go longer on each charge. It learns how you like to use your phone, so apps you don't use won't drain as much power.
- Background restrictions in Settings can stop certain apps that use too much battery, so you can have more control.
Control your on-screen time
- App dashboard shows daily view of the time spent on your phone, how frequently you use different apps, and how many notifications you get.
- Wind Down sets a daily schedule to get your phone ready for bed. Grayscale fades your screen to gray while Do Not Disturb silences notifications for a restful sleep.
- App timers let you set daily time limits for your apps. When you reach the limit, the app is paused for the rest of the day.
- Multiple Bluetooth connections can connect up to five Bluetooth devices and switch between these devices seamlessly. Incoming phone calls will be sent to all connected Bluetooth devices that can accept, so you'll never miss a call.
- Volume memory for Bluetooth devices will remember the last volume you set for each of your Bluetooth devices. No more blasting music too loudly when you reconnect to your car or headphones.
- HDR built-in support, for the High Dynamic Range (HDR) VP9 Profile 2, lets you watch HDR-enabled movies on YouTube and Google Play Movies. HDR improves the brightness and color range of video to improve the picture quality and experience.
- Messaging apps can suggest quick replies in the notification, so you can respond in a tap.
- Turn off notifications from a range of apps, so you only receive helpful ones.
- Screenshots can now be taken from the power menu and draw, annotate, or crop them quickly.
- New system navigation helps make it simpler to search and move between apps. Swipe up from anywhere to see full-screen previews of recently used apps, swipe left and right to easily navigate between them, and tap on one to jump in.
- App Actions predicts what you’ll want to do next based on your context and displays that action right on your phone, saving you time.
- Slices are interactive snippets of your favorite apps can be surfaced in different places, like Google Search.
- Overview Selection opens when you long-press text or an image, and you can see actions based on what you've selected (for example, an option to route to an address with Google Maps or share for an image).
Be aware that software from Samsung, LG, HTC, and other manufacturers can change what features you may get.
These are the most exciting changes, but that's not all that's coming. You can read Google's Pie 9.0 page for more.