Mobile Without Borders keeps you connected while traveling in Canada and Mexico with unlimited talk, text, and data and up to 5GB of 4G LTE (or a maximum of your plan's high-speed data allotment, whichever comes first).
On this page:
- Mobile Without Borders gives you unlimited calling and texting between the US, Mexico, and Canada.
- You also get up to 5 GB high-speed data allotment (or max of your high-speed data allotment, whichever comes first) that includes both phone and tethering data usage.
- It's included on T-Mobile ONE and Simple Choice North America, or with a qualifying feature on other older plans or prepaid plans.
- T-Mobile customers never pay data overages – even if you manage to use up your 4G LTE data, you automatically stay connected with unlimited data at Simple Global speeds (up to 128kbps for most plans and 256kbps for ONE Plus).
- Mobile Without Borders is included in these plans at no extra charge:
- T-Mobile ONE
- Simple Choice North America
- New Simple Choice (after 2015)
- North America versions of Mobile Internet/data-only plans
- It can be added to many other plans as an optional feature for additional cost.
- Mobile Without Borders is currently not available for T-Mobile Essentials, Unlimited Talk & Text Only, Simple Starter, or @Home plans.
- If you aren't eligible for Mobile Without Borders, roaming in Canada and Mexico may be available through a different plan or feature on your account.
- For example, T-Mobile Essentials provides data in Canada and Mexico at up to 128 kbps at no additional cost. See your plan details for additional information.
- If you're not sure what plan you have or what's included, contact us and we'll be happy to check it for you.
- If you're on an unlimited high-speed plan, we'll send you an alert at 80% and 100% of your 4G LTE data limit while traveling in Canada and Mexico. You can also check overall data usage by dialing the short code #WEB# on your device.
- You won't be able to use your Data Stash in Canada and Mexico, however, you will still accrue Data Stash data.
- Due to Music Freedom partner licensing and availability, some services are unavailable for use while in Mexico and Canada. For more info, check out Music Freedom.
- Tethering data usage in Canada or Mexico deducts from the 5 GB bucket, but it doesn't affect any tethering usage limits in the US.
- While Mobile Without Borders only applies to Canada and Mexico, we offer unlimited text and 2G data in over 210 countries and destinations around the world with Simple Global on qualifying postpaid plans.
- See Roaming information on T-Mobile.com to check out the latest.
- Calling rates within and between these countries is $0.25 per minute. Calls from these countries back to the US are also $0.25 per minute.
Why is the monthly 4G LTE data limited?
Mobile Without Borders is an incredible benefit and allows customers to stay connected when traveling in Canada and Mexico. In order to prevent usage beyond the intent of the product, we implemented a limit on the amount of monthly 4G LTE data. Less than 1% of people with this benefit travel to Mexico and Canada use over 5GB a month. After 5GB of high-speed data is used in Mexico and Canada (or your high-speed data allotment is reached, whichever comes first), customers will stay connected with unlimited data at Simple Global speeds (up to 128kbps for most plans or 256kbps with T-Mobile ONE Plus).
What if I travel to both Mexico and Canada in one billing cycle? Is it 5GB per country or between the two combined?
- If you are on an unlimited plan, your 5GB of high speed data is shared between Canada and Mexico. If you travel to both countries in the same billing cycle, you have as much as 5GB to use between the trips.
- If you are on a legacy plan with a high-speed data maximum (i.e. 4GB, 6GB, 10GB), your data allowance is shared across US, Mexico, and Canada, but you only have up to 5GB high-speed data in Mexico and Canada combined.
- For example, if you have 4GB high-speed data total and you use 2GB in the US, you have another 2 GB high-speed data to use in Mexico and Canada.
- If you have 10GB high speed data total and use 2 GB the US before heading over the border, then you still only have up to 5GB high-speed data in Mexico and Canada combined. After 5GB, you will still have unlimited data at Simple Global speeds (up to 128kbps or 256kbps if you have ONE Plus). You can use your remaining 3GB high speed data when you return to the US.
See the following examples for a thorough breakdown:
|I have a US high-speed data plan of…||Maximum data available in Mexico/Canada||Example: Data used before visiting Mexico/Canada||Example: High speed data still available in Mexico/Canada|
|4GB||4GB + unlimited data at Simple Global speeds||2GB||2GB|
|6GB||5GB + unlimited data at Simple Global speeds||2GB||4GB|
|10GB||5GB + unlimited data at Simple Global speeds||6GB||4GB|
|5GB + unlimited data at Simple Global speeds||4GB||5GB|
During congestion, Essentials plan customers may notice speeds lower than other customers; customers using over 50GB/mo. on all plans may notice further reduced speeds.
Qualifying plan or feature required. Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network. Device must register on our U.S. network before international use. Service may be terminated or restricted for excessive roaming or misuse. Limited time offers; subject to change. Qualifying plan and capable device required. Voice and text features for direct communications between 2 people; others (e.g. conference & chat lines, etc.) may cost extra. Communications with premium-rate numbers not included and may incur additional charges. Device & coverage impact experience and speeds, which vary. Coverage not available in some areas; we are not responsible for the performance of our roaming partners’ networks. For the small fraction of customers using >50GB/mo., primary data usage must be on T-Mobile device.