Starting November 12, 2017 customers on T-Mobile ONE, Simple Choice North America, or legacy rate plans with a qualifying feature will receive unlimited talk, text and data with a maximum of 5GB of 4G LTE. After 5GB of high-speed data is used in Mexico and Canada (or your high-speed data allotment is reached, whichever comes first), customers will stay connected with unlimited data at Simple Global speeds (up to 128kbps for most plans or 256kbps with T-Mobile ONE Plus).
See the following usage examples for reference:
|I have a US high-speed data plan of…||Maximum data available in Mexico/Canada||(Example) Used data before visiting Mexico/Canada||(Example) High speed data still available in Mexico/Canada|
|4GB||4GB + unlimited data at Simple Global speeds||2GB||2GB|
|6GB||5GB + unlimited data at Simple Global speeds||2GB||4GB|
|10GB||5GB + unlimited data at Simple Global speeds||6GB||4GB|
|5GB + unlimited data at Simple Global speeds||4GB||5GB|
On all T-Mobile plans, the small fraction of customers using over 50GB/mo. may notice reduced speeds until the next bill cycle due to data prioritization.
Why is T-Mobile making this change?
Mobile Without Borders is an incredible benefit and allows customers to stay connected when traveling in Canada and Mexico. In order to prevent usage beyond the intent of the product, we implemented a limit on the amount of monthly 4G LTE data. Less than 1% of people with this benefit travel to Mexico and Canada use over 5GB a month. After 5GB of high-speed data is used in Mexico and Canada (or your high-speed data allotment is reached, whichever comes first), customers will stay connected with unlimited data at Simple Global speeds (up to 128kbps for most plans or 256kbps with T-Mobile ONE Plus).
What if I travel to both Mexico and Canada in one billing cycle? Is it 5GB per country or between the two combined?
- If you are on an unlimited plan, your 5GB of high speed data is shared between Canada and Mexico. If you travel to both countries in the same billing cycle, you have as much as 5GB to use between the trips.
- If you are on a legacy plan with a high-speed data maximum (i.e. 4GB, 6GB, 10GB), your data allowance is shared across US, Mexico, and Canada, but you only have up to 5GB high-speed data in Mexico and Canada combined.
- For example, if you have 4GB high-speed data total and you use 2GB in the US, you have another 2 GB high-speed data to use in Mexico and Canada.
- If you have 10GB high speed data total and use 2 GB the US before heading over the border, then you still only have up to 5GB high-speed data in Mexico and Canada combined. After 5GB, you will still have unlimited data at Simple Global speeds (up to 128kbps or 256kbps if you have ONE Plus). You can use your remaining 3GB high speed data when you return to the US.
What if I need more than 5GB 4G LTE data when traveling in Mexico and Canada?
- T-Mobile customers never pay data overages – if you manage to use up your 4G LTE data you automatically stay connected with unlimited data at Simple Global speeds (up to 128kbps for most plans and 256kbps for ONE Plus).
- Customers on postpaid T-Mobile ONE plans can also add T-Mobile ONE Plus International for an additional charge and get unlimited high-speed LTE in Mexico and Canada.
How can I track my 4G LTE data usage in Canada and Mexico?
If you are on an unlimited high-speed plan, T-Mobile will send you an alert at 80% and 100% of your 4G LTE data limit while traveling in Canada and Mexico. Customers can also check overall data usage by dialing the short code #WEB# on your T-Mobile device.
What are my calling and texting benefits when traveling in Mexico or Canada?
Unlimited calling and texting while traveling in Mexico or Canada is included at no extra charge.
I happen to live in a bordering city to Canada or Mexico and often pick up those networks. What does this mean for me?
You will be alerted via text when you are roaming on Canadian or Mexican networks. If you don’t want to use these networks, we recommend turning off roaming in your phone settings unless you are actually traveling there. This will limit your phone to US network coverage.
Will my Data Stash still be available in Canada and Mexico?
You will now not be able to use your Data Stash in Canada and Mexico. However, you will still be able to accrue Data Stash data while in Canada and Mexico.
What are my benefits in other countries where you currently offer free data roaming?
T-Mobile offers unlimited text and 2G data in over 140 countries and destinations (please see https://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html for the latest list) around the world with Simple Global on qualifying postpaid plans. Calling rates within and between these countries is $0.20 per minute. Calls from these countries back to the US are also $0.20 per minute.
How are T-Mobile for Business accounts affected?
T-Mobile for Business customers traveling in Mexico and Canada get unlimited talk, text, and data with up to 5GB of 4G LTE data (or for limited customers, up to their available high-speed data allotment, whichever comes first) to use while traveling each month in Mexico and Canada.