After turning on your device the first time, you may see a setup wizard to help you set up the Samsung Gear S3 frontier. This device has an embedded SIM card and battery so no installation of either is required. You set up the watch as a standalone device or connect it to your compatible smartphone via the Samsung Gear app.
Charge device and connect watchband
- Charge the device as shown.
- Assemble the watchband as shown.
- Open the buckle and place the strap around your wrist.
- Fit the strap to your wrist, insert the pin into an adjustment hole, and then secure the buckle to close it.
- Review these tips and precautions:
- Some people may experience discomfort when wearing the Gear for prolonged periods.
- If you have sensitive skin or fasten the Gear too tightly, you may feel some discomfort.
- Do not expose the straps to very wet conditions. Wet straps can cause skin irritations. Dry the straps first. If you experience skin irritation when wearing the device, stop wearing the device and consult a physician.
- The Gear and the strap have passed the hazardous materials test and meet international safety standards.
Set up as a standalone device
- Press and hold the Power button for a few seconds to turn on the Gear. When you turn on the Gear for the first time or reset it, a pop-up window is displayed
- On the setup screen, tap the question mark underneath the download instructions to display the Help screen.
- Scroll down to the message that reads 'If you want to use Gear without connecting to your phone, tap here' and tap here.
- Select desired language (English is pre-selected as default), then tap NEXT.
- Click the ✔ check mark to continue.
- Agree to the terms and conditions, then tap NEXT.
- Follow steps to create a PIN, then tap NEXT.
- Wait for the device setup to complete.
- Follow the on-screen tutorial and begin using your device.
Set up with connected smartphone
- Press and hold the Power button for a few seconds to turn on the Gear. When you turn on the Gear for the first time or reset it, a pop-up window is displayed.
- To connect your Gear to a smartphone, install the Samsung Gear app on the smartphone. Launch Galaxy Apps or visit apps.samsung.com/gear from your smartphone to download it. For non-Samsung devices, download the Samsung Gear app from the Google Play store.
- Turn on the Gear.
- On the smartphone, tap Apps > Samsung gear. If necessary, update the Samsung Gear app to the latest version.
- Tap Connect to gear.
- When the Bluetooth pairing request window is displayed, confirm the passkeys displayed on your Gear and smartphone match, and then tap the ✔ check mark.
- Follow the prompts to complete the connection.
- When the devices are connected, a tutorial is displayed on the Gear’s screen. Follow the prompts to learn the Gear’s basic controls.
Call forwarding to connected Gear
To setup the call forwarding to a connected Gear, follow these steps on the connected smartphone:
- From the Home screen, tap the App icon.
- Tap Gear Manager.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Auto call forwarding.
- On the Auto call forwarding screen, check the Turn on box.
- On the confirmation screen, tap Yes.
Connect Gear to new smartphone
When you connect the Gear to another smartphone, the Gear automatically resets and all data is removed from its memory. Make sure you back up any important data stored on your Gear.
- Back up your Gear’s data on your smartphone:
- Tap Apps > Samsung gear.
- Tap Settings > About gear.
- Tap Back up and restore > Back up data.
- End the connection between your Gear and smartphone:
- On the smartphone, tap Apps > Samsung gear.
- Tap More > Disconnect. The Gear disconnects from your smartphone.
- Connect your Gear to another smartphone.
- Be aware a new Gear device cannot connect to a smartphone that is already paired with another Gear.
You can remotely connect the Gear to your smartphone when a Bluetooth connection is not available. With this connection, you can still receive notifications from your smartphone. This feature is automatically activated when you connect to your smartphone using Bluetooth for the first time. If this feature is not turned on, follow these steps on the smartphone:
- From the Apps screen, tap Settings.
- Tap Samsung gear.
- Select the SETTINGS tab.
- Tap Gear connection.
- Tap Remote connection.