Learn about text and picture messaging services.
Text messaging (SMS) is a two-way mobile messaging service that allows you to send and receive short text and email messages on text-capable mobile devices. You can use text messaging with both T-Mobile and non-T-Mobile customers.
Things you should know:
- Messages are limited to 160 characters. If a message exceeds 160 characters, it's automatically converted to a picture message (MMS). See "Picture messaging," below.
- T-Mobile doesn't save or keep copies of text messages.
- We can't retrieve deleted or missed messages.
- You can't access your text messages from our website, since we don't keep copies.
- Some email services allow for text messages to be forwarded to your email, so check with your email provider to see if this is a service they offer.
- Each mobile number has its own email address in this format: firstname.lastname@example.org. Example: email@example.com
- Having problems with spam? Read Caller ID spoofing and text messaging spam FAQs
- Learn how to block messages.
- Need a special ring tone for a text message? You can find steps to do this in Devices.
T-Mobile One and Simple Choice offer unlimited text and picture messaging. Older plans may include a monthly allotment of messages (text, picture, video, and IM). You can check your monthly allotment by logging into My T-Mobile and visiting the PLAN section. You can find rates for Pay in Advance (Prepaid) accounts here.
You aren't charged for messages you receive from T-Mobile.
Picture messaging (MMS) is a service that allows you to send and receive messages with multimedia content, not necessarily just text. Picture messaging lets you send or receive messages containing pictures, video, text, audio, or a combination.
- Because of the larger size, a picture message can sometimes take longer to get to your mobile device than a text message (SMS).
- Videos can only be sent between handsets that support video messaging.
- Go to Devices to learn how to send picture messages, and see if your device supports it.
T-Mobile One and Simple Choice offer unlimited text and picture messaging. Older plans may include a monthly allotment of messages (text, picture, video, and IM). You can check your monthly allotment by logging into My T-Mobile and visiting the PLAN section.For Pay in Advance (Prepaid) accounts, you can find rates on the Prepaid additional services page.