T-Mobile partners with other U.S. carriers to provide service in some areas of the country while outside of our network. When T-Mobile customers use data on these partner networks, this is called domestic data roaming. While roaming, data service works a little differently and has some restrictions.
T-Mobile is always looking for ways to offer as much coverage as possible on our own network, so we must sometimes rely on domestic roaming partners to broaden our domestic coverage. To make this possible, we coordinate with third-party roaming partners in certain areas where we don’t have our own network coverage.
In these cases, we don’t have the same ability to provide unlimited data roaming. When you travel outside of T-Mobile's U.S. network coverage, your phone automatically switches to using wireless data from another carrier. There's no added charge for the service, but we do have to place reasonable limits on off-network usage.
You'll receive a usage alert when you've reached 80% of your monthly domestic data roaming usage allotment; then you'll receive a second alert when you reach 100%.
Domestic data roaming with our more recent plans
If you have T-Mobile ONE™ or have our most-recent Simple Choice plan (activated on or after November 15, 2015), then you're eligible for 200 MB of domestic data roaming.
Domestic data roaming with other plans
Eligibility for data roaming depends on your full-speed data allotment, whether you're on one of our older Simple Choice plans (activated before November 15, 2015) or if you're on our Tourist Plan. To determine this allotment, follow these steps:
- Go to My T-Mobile, and log in to your account.
- Click Plan at the top of the page.
- Find the line you want to check.
- Click the + next to DATA SERVICE.
- Check the bill details to see what it lists as your limit for high-speed data.
- Check the following table:
High-speed data allotment
for older plans
Domestic data roaming
Less than 199 MB 5 MB 200 MB - 1.99 GB 10 MB 2 GB - 4.99 GB 50 MB 5 GB - 10.99 GB 100 MB 11 GB - 25 GB 200 MB Unlimited nationwide 4G Data
(with 7 GB Smartphone Mobile HotSpot)
50 MB Mobile Web Pay Per Use 10 MB On Demand Data Pass 0 MB Tourist Plan 200 MB
- You will not be charged for domestic data roaming. However, once your domestic data roaming allotment has been reached, your data services will be unavailable until you return to a T-Mobile coverage area or when your bill cycle starts over. If you have a Wi-Fi-capable device, you can still connect to Wi-Fi to access data in non-T-Mobile coverage areas.
- To reduce data usage when roaming:
- Use Wi-Fi whenever possible, especially when streaming or downloading.
- Adjust the settings in your phone to disable data roaming. Head over to the Devices page, select your device, and you'll find steps to change these settings.
- Set email and other social networking applications that synchronize data to "manual" mode instead of "automatic," so you can control when you are syncing data.
- Android phones can use applications like My Data Manager to track and control usage. It's not a T-Mobile application and doesn't show exact network usage, but it may be useful for general reference.
You'll receive a free usage alert via text message to notify you once you use 80% of your monthly domestic data roaming allotment, and another when you reach 100%. These text messages contain a link that allows you to view your real-time usage.
You can also view your domestic data usage by using the T-Mobile app on your device once you have exceeded 80% of your monthly full-speed data or domestic data roaming allotments.
There may be times when your device still attempts to roam or use another carrier's network, even when you're within the T-Mobile coverage area. If you’d like to limit this, see the Things to keep in mind above.
Once your domestic data roaming allotment has been reached, your data services won't be available until you return to a T-Mobile coverage area, your bill cycle starts over, or you buy a Domestic Data Roaming Pass (not available for the Tourist Plan).
If you have a Wi-Fi-capable device, you can access data on any available Wi-Fi connection. Most data services aren't available when you reach your domestic data roaming allotment. However, you can still access the T-Mobile App on your device.
You can call 611 from your T-Mobile number, or call T-Mobile Customer Service at 1-800-937-8997, to purchase one of the following data passes:
- A 1-Day 10 MB Domestic Roaming Data Pass costs $10
- A 7-Day 50 MB Domestic Roaming Data Pass costs $15