Use the steps below to identify known issues on the Google Nexus 5 and how to resolve them. Use Grand Central and other troubleshooting resources for all other issues.
Apps & data
Text messaging application is missing
To send and receive text, picture and IM messages, follow these steps:
- From home screen tap Applications.
- Tap Muffled or no audio during playbackto read and or send text messages.
As of Android 6.0, you may tap Messenger to use it instead.
Connections & Network
Error message when selecting mobile plan
This menu option is needed for Tablets like the Google Nexus 7 and should not be in the Google Nexus 5. The menu structure will be corrected in a future software update.
Messaging & email
Picture will not attach to message
You must attach a picture to a message before you begin typing. When attaching a picture, do so before you begin typing the message.
Visual Voicemail is not supported
Visual Voicemail is not supported on Nexus devices.
Notifications, pics, & media
Muffled or no audio during playback
The Google Nexus 5 has a speaker under one grill and a microphone under the other grill. Verify the speaker grill is not covered during playback.
Storage & hardware
Battery / Memory Management / Freeze Crash
Several factors contribute to low battery, including software that is not up-to-date, applications that are running in the background, and device settings.
To improve battery life, follow these steps:
- Confirm that the phone is on the latest software version. If the software is not up-to-date, NO EXCHANGE should be processed.
- Clear recent apps to close application that are running in the background.
- From the Home screen, tap Recent apps.
- Swipe left or right to clear an application(s).
Cannot turn on or charge
- Plug your Nexus 5 into its original LG power adapter using the charger's original USB cable.
- Ensure the power cord is securely connected to the device and the power adapter. Also, make sure you're using a functioning power outlet.
- Wait for one minute, checking to see if a charging icon appears on the screen.
- Press and hold the Power button for at least 15 seconds to see if the device turns on.You will see the Google logo and feel a slight vibration.
- If this does not work, then press and hold the Power button for up to 60 seconds.
- If device turns on, do not process an exchange.
- If the device does not turn on, view Grand Central to check that device is on the latest software version.
Screen turns on during call
You can press the power button on the side of the phone to turn off the screen. If the device is laying in your hand while you take a call the proximity sensor should not lock the screen.