Learn how to connect to Bluetooth on the Apple Watch.
- To use your Apple Watch, you'll need to pair it with an iPhone 5 or later running iOS 8.2 or later.
- You can pair one Apple Watch to your iPhone at a time.
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure Bluetooth is on.
- Make sure your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi or a cellular network.
- Turn on your Apple Watch by pressing and holding the side button next to the Digital Crown until you see the Apple logo.
- Make sure both devices are charged, and keep them close together as you pair and sync them.
To turn on Bluetooth and pair with a headset or other device, follow these steps:
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone.
- On the Watch, choose your language using the Digital Crown or swiping.
- Tap Start pairing on the Watch, then on the iPhone.
- Hold the Watch in front of the iPhone camera, centered in the square, until you see the message Your Apple Watch is Paired.
- On your iPhone, tap Set Up as New. If you’ve set up once before, you can tap Restore from Backup on your iPhone and follow onscreen steps.
- Pick a wrist by tapping Left or Right on your iPhone. Then read terms and conditions and tap Agree to continue.
- Sign in with your Apple ID.
- Review the Usage and Diagnostics, Location Services, and Siri settings.If you change the settings of these services, those changes will apply to both of your devices.
- On your iPhone, choose whether to make a passcode for your Apple Watch. You'll need a Passcode for features like Apple Pay.
- If you tap Create a Passcode or Add a Long Passcode on your iPhone:
- You'll be asked to make a personal code using your Apple Watch.
- Then decide whether your Apple Watch will unlock with your iPhone.
- Tap Install All to sync iPhone apps that work with Apple Watch.
- Only apps that are compatible with Apple Watch will sync.
- Tap Choose Later to sync only basic information like Mail, Contacts, and Messages.
- Your iPhone and Apple Watch will begin to sync.
- The length of this process varies depending on the amount of data you're syncing.
- Keep your devices close together until you hear a chime and feel a gentle tapping sensation from your Apple Watch.
Turn on / off
You cannot turn Bluetooth on or off, but you can unpair your Watch from your iPhone.
- Unpairing will erase all data from your Watch.
- When you unpair your device, your iPhone automatically creates a backup of your Watch.
- Keep your Apple Watch and iPhone close together as you unpair them.
- If your Apple Watch is unpaired while out of range of your iPhone, the backup won’t be created.
To unpair you Apple device, follow these steps:
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- Tap My Watch > Apple Watch, then tap Unpair Apple Watch.
- Tap again to confirm.
- Your Watch information is backed up to your iPhone, then the Watch is erased.