Learn how to check the software version and update the Samsung Galaxy S II.
Beginning October 5, the Samsung Galaxy S II will have a software update to Android version 4.1.2/ Software T989UVOH1 via OTA or Samsung Kies. This update provides the Stagefright fix.
You can update in one way:
- Manual download to T989UVMC6 If you want to update to T989UVMC6, you can update via Samsung Kies. Ensure you are on the latest version of Kies prior to attempting the update. Seehttp://www.samsung.com/us/kies/ to confirm the version.
Current Software Version
|This software version is current. Your device software is up to date.|
You can manually update to Android version 4.1.2/ Baseband version T989UVOH1. See above for steps to manually update via Kies.
T-Mobile and Samsung will not send you a software update.
Devices with non-T-Mobile software versions are out of warranty and do not receive updates.
Check software version
To check the current software version, follow these steps:
- From any Home screen, tap the Menu key.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap About phone.
- View Baseband version.
Manually update over USB using [update method, such as Kies]
You can [describe manual update process]. To manually update over a USB cable, follow these steps:
- Download the most recent version of Kies by visiting http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/ (Select the SAMSUNG Kies version compatible with the PC)
Note: Save the file to a desired location - the Desktop is recommended for easy access.
Ensure you are on the most recent Kies version. If you attempt to check for Kies updates manually through the application, older versions may not recognize that there is a new version available. Compare your version number (found in Help > Kies Info) with that available through Samsung (click the file to download, on the download screen, the file name will include 2.x.x.x.xxxxx_, this is the current version available).
- Double click the Kies file. The program will self extract, no action is required.
- Select the desired Language and Location, then click Next.
- Read the license agreement, check the box for "I accept..." and click Next.
- Kies Mini will begin the installation. No action is required.
- When the process is complete, click Finish.
Prepare the Samsung Galaxy S II
Note: USB Debugging is only needed when using a MAC to Update via Kies.
- From the Android home screen, press the Menu key and tap Settings.
- Tap Applications.
- Tap Development.
- Tap USB Debugging.
- Tap the Home key to exit the settings menu.
- Insert the USB data cable into the phone and then into an available port on the computer.
- Select Samsung Kies at the phone prompt. The PC should recognize several devices and begin installation. This is normal and may take a few minutes. Unplug the data cable when completed.
Important: Verify you have backed up all of your data, including the contents of the internal (non-removable) SD card, to prevent unnecessary data loss.
- On the PC, open the Kies application.
- Connect the device to the computer using the included USB cable.
- Once Kies recognizes the device, a popup window will appear.
- Click Update.
- Read the Caution statements and select the I have read... check box.
- If desired, select Allow saving to back up the device. If not, select Proceed without saving.
- Click Start Upgrade.
- The software will download to the PC, and then to the device.