Learn how to use the task manager and free up memory on the Samsung Galaxy Note 4.
Restart device regularly
You should restart your phone at least once per day.
- Press and hold the Power key.
- Tap Restart.
Reduce memory use
Animated widgets and widgets that update information use the most memory. If your phone is running slow, you can reduce the amount of memory it is using:
- Replace a live wallpaper
- From any Home screen, tap the Menu key and then tap Set wallpaper.
- Tap Home screen.
Note: Tap Home and lock screen if you set a Live wallpaper to the lock screen.
- Tap either Gallery or Wallpapers.
- Follow the prompts to set a new wallpaper that replaces the current Live wallpaper.
- Remove widgets
- From the desired Home screen, touch and hold on the widget.
- Drag the widget over the Trash can icon and release your finger.
- Remove unused Home screens
- From any Home screen tap the Menu key and then tap Edit page.
- Touch and hold on to the Home screen you want to delete.
- Drag your finger (and the Home screen) over the Trash can icon and release your finger.
Manage apps to keep your device running smoothly
- Use Manage apps to update apps, clear app cache and data, recent apps, and uninstall an app.
- Never install a third-party Task Manager or Battery Manager. These apps interfere with how device software works.
- Research and monitor new apps that you install.
- Read app reviews before installing. Not all apps run smoothly on phones. Read customer reviews before downloading an app to see if it has a history of not working properly.
- If your device starts having problems after installing an app, consider uninstalling the app. (See Manage apps.)
A task manager can view running apps and close them.
- From any Home screen, tap the Recent Apps key on the bottom left.
- Tap the Task Manager icon.
- A list of active applications appears.
- Tap End to close an active application.
- Tap End all to close all active applications.
View free memory
- From any Home screen, tap Apps.
- Tap Settings.
- Scroll to 'APPLICATIONS,' then tap Application manager.
- Tap Settings > Storage.
- Under 'Device memory,' view the available value.