Learn about various calling services available to you as a T-Mobile customer.
411 directory assistance allows you to reach a live operator for directory assistance from your T-Mobile phone. To connect, dial 411 and send the call. Each 411 call costs up to $1.99 (plus talk time for Prepaid plans).
Things to keep in mind when using 411 directory assistance:
- Three directory listings are included per call.
- Using toll-free area codes to call 411 won't avoid the directory assistance charge.
- International directory assistance isn't available.
Call forwarding allows you to forward your incoming calls to another number. You can set it up to forward all your calls immediately. Or, you can set it up to forward if you don't answer the call, if your phone is turned off, or if you're out of signal range.
Be aware of the following when using call forwarding:
- You can't forward calls to international numbers.
- You can only forward calls to 10- or 11-digit numbers.
- Forwarding while roaming depends on the host country's network capabilities.
For steps on call forwarding:
- Go to the Devices page.
- Select your phone.
- Scroll down to the How Tos section and select Calling & Contacts.
- Select Block and manage calls for your device.
- Follow the steps for setting up call forwarding for your device.
Call waiting and call hold are used together. If you receive an incoming call while you're on the phone, you hear a tone letting you know another call is coming in. If you answer the incoming call, the first call is automatically placed on hold. You can then switch between the calls, or join the calls using conference calling.
For Pay in Advance (Prepaid) plans, minutes are deducted for each incoming call when using call waiting.
Caller ID is a free service that lets you know who is calling by displaying their number on your phone. If the caller's contact information is stored in your phone, you see their name as well. Because of landline limitations, some numbers may not display on Caller ID.
If you have a landline phone, you most likely have Enhanced Landline Caller ID. If not, a combination of the caller's city, state, or "Wireless caller" and their mobile number appears on the caller ID.
T-Mobile offers customers the ability to add the Name ID feature to your account. Name ID is a service that identifies calls from any caller–including the name, number, and location of the person that's calling–even if you don't have the caller's information stored in your phone. Name ID may also display one of the following categories to help you screen your incoming calls:
- Charity Call ― Call from non-profit companies with intent to inform or solicit information or money/donation.
- Informational ― Calls from a number meant to inform you of an already established business relationship transaction such as package delivery, appointment reminder, order confirmation, conferencing, etc.
- Nuisance Likely ― Calls from a likely nuisance caller not otherwise categorized.
- Political Call ― Calls with intent to pass a political message to the end user.
- Prison/Jail ― Call from a number known to be a Prison/Jail Facility.
- Scam Likely ― (Available alone with Scam ID) Calls from a caller identified as a likely scammer.
- Survey Call ― Call meant to collect data / opinions.
- Telemarketing ― Calls seeking to induce the purchase of a product or service.
Available on Android phones only, Name ID is included with T-Mobile ONE Plus and ONE Plus International plans. There's a small monthly fee for other plan types. You can add Name ID to your line by changing your services on My T-Mobile.
Name ID app
You can also use the Name ID service using the T-Mobile Name ID app (although it's not required), and it comes pre-installed on Android devices that support the app. Learn more about T-Mobile's Name ID app.
iPhone Name ID
iPhones may not display the phone number of the incoming caller or additional benefits from the Name ID app provides. It will usually display the name (as if the person would be in your address book) but may instead show Wireless Caller/unknown.
For a small monthly fee, you can add the Name ID+VM to Text or T-Mobile ONE Plus feature to your account.
Name ID+VM to Text feature
For an additional monthly fee, this feature provides both the Name ID and Voicemail to Text (VTT) services together, and it costs less than having the features separately. While Name ID lets you see the name and number of unblocked callers that aren't in your list of contacts, VTT delivers voicemail to your phone as a text message. This combined feature isn't available for Pay in Advance (Prepaid) accounts.
T-Mobile ONE Plus feature
If you have T-Mobile ONE, for an additional monthly fee, you can add this feature, which includes Visual Voicemail, Name ID, unlimited HD video streaming (US Only), 2X faster international data roaming speeds (256 kbps), and unlimited in-flight Wi-Fi on Gogo-enabled flights. While Name ID lets you see the name and number of unblocked callers that aren't in your list of contacts, Visual Voicemail delivers voicemails to your phone as a text message. This combined feature isn't available for Pay in Advance (Prepaid) accounts and excludes Smartphone Mobile HotSpot.
You can add any service feature to your line by changing your services on My T-Mobile.