Your Windows Phone or Windows Mobile device is like a trusty friend. Having to start with a blank device can be like having to learn how to ride a bike again. But have no fear, this guide is here to help! Following these few quick steps will get your device back in action as quickly as possible.
Windows 6 and lower
Install and sync with Microsoft Zune to backup and restore all your device info quickly and easily, follow our Zune guide.
- From the Start screen, swipe left.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap email+accounts.
- Tap add an account.
- Tap Microsoft account.
- Enter your email address and password.
- Tap next.
- If desired, change the content sync setting.
- Tap sign in.
- Swipe left and scroll to settings.
- Tap email and accounts.
- Verify that a Microsoft acocunt has been added (if not tap add and update).
- Tap and hold on the Microsoft account.
- Tap Sync.
- Make sure contacts have been updated within people. If you need additional help with your contacts, try visiting Windows Phone Contact Help.
Windows 6 and lower
- Place your SD card into your new device, and it will bring over any media stored to it for you!
- If you have music or other files on a home PC, you can also transfer it to your new device. To do so, follow: Browse and transfer files between device and computer - Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC)
- On your Windows computer, open the Zune application.
- Click marketplace.
- Click Music.
- Locate and click the music track or album you want.
- If the music is free, click Free.
- If the music is not free, click Buy or Buy Points.
- If necessary, sign in to your Windows Live ID account or follow the onscreen instructions.
- On the Confirm screen, click Download or click Buy.
- If necessary, enter your contact info, tap Next, enter your credit card info, then tap OK.
- Your music will be downloaded to your computer.
- The next time you connect your phone to your computer, the music will sync to the phone.
- From your phone’s Start screen, swipe left.
- Tap the Music + Videos tile to see your downloaded music.
- Connect the small end of the USB cable to your phone and the large end to your computer.
- If it doesn't open automatically, open the Xbox Music desktop software on your computer.
- If necessary, sign in.
- Music files saved on your phone will automatically be uploaded to Collection > Music in the XBox Music desktop.