You should attempt to soft reset or master reset the device before using this procedure. See:
If the handset is locked, frozen, or unresponsive, you can hard reset it using the hardware keys instead of the menu. A hard reset restores the original factory settings and may erase all downloaded content, including ringtones, images, programs, and contacts stored in the internal memory. It does not erase data stored on the SIM card or memory card (if available).
Note: A master reset restores the original factory settings and can erase all downloaded content, including ringtones, camera images, contacts stored in the handset memory, and Java™ applications. It does not erase data stored on the SIM card or memory card (if available). Back up all necessary data on the device memory before proceeding.
To perform a hard reset using hardware keys, follow these steps:
- If the device responds at all, use Microsoft® ActiveSync to back up your data before resetting the device.
- Note: The device must be turned on to use ActiveSync.
- If the device is turned on, either turn it off or remove the battery and re-insert it. The device must be turned off and unplugged from the charger to continue.
- Press and hold the Left soft key and Right soft key at the same time.
- While holding the soft keys, press the Power button on top of the device.
- Note: You do not need to press and hold the Power button, simply press and release.
- While still holding the soft keys, release the power button.
- Release the soft keys.
- Press the green Send key.