Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (SMHS) – also referred to as Wi-Fi Sharing or tethering – is a great way to securely share your smartphone or tablet's Internet connection with your laptop, tablet, and other Wi-Fi-enabled devices on T-Mobile’s high-speed nationwide network.
On this page:
SMHS is a benefit included with T-Mobile ONE™ and Simple Choice™ plans. It lets you share your phone, tablet or Wi-Fi Hotspot's high-speed data with other Wi-Fi enabled or tethered devices.
To use SMHS, you'll need a Wi-Fi-enabled or Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or tablet.
- Turn on Wi-Fi Sharing (SMHS) on your Wi-Fi-capable device. You can check the Devices page for steps.
- Connect the other devices to your secured Wi-Fi signal. If you don't want to use Wi-Fi, you can use a USB cable to connect to other devices (additional software and setup may be required on your device -- you can check the Devices page for steps).
- SMHS only works in 4G and 4G LTE coverage. View our coverage map.
- A data feature is required on your line for SMHS to function.
- You can share your Internet connection with up to 10 devices. While connected, you can still make and receive calls and texts on your phone.
- For Simple Choice customers, once you reach your high-speed data allotment, your SMHS and on-device data speed is reduced to 2G speeds. Customers with a Simple Choice unlimited plan will have their SMHS speeds reduced after using 14 GB of mobile hotspot data. In either case, your data won’t stop — you’ll just experience slower speeds until the end of your billing cycle.
- If you're having issues connecting your game systems, TVs, or other devices to your Smartphone Mobile HotSpot, contact your device manufacturer for support. We can't guarantee SMHS will be compatible with all devices.
If you have T-Mobile ONE, you get unlimited mobile hotspot speeds at up to 3G (512kbps). It’s great for web browsing, music streaming, and email, but it may not work well with all video streaming. For an additional cost, you can amp up your T‑Mobile ONE experience with T-Mobile ONE Plus or ONE Plus International and get high-speed 4G LTE mobile hotspot and much more:
On all T-Mobile plans, during congestion, the small fraction of customers using >50GB/mo. may notice reduced speeds until next bill cycle due to data prioritization.