Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (SMHS) is a great way to securely share your smartphone’s Internet connection with your laptop, tablet, and other Wi-Fi-enabled devices on T-Mobile’s high-speed nationwide network.
How it works
SHMS is included with our Simple Choice™ and T-Mobile ONE™ plans.
If you have T‑Mobile ONE, you get unlimited mobile hotspot speeds at up to 3G (512kbps). It’s great for web browsing, music streaming, and email, but it may not work well with all video streaming. For an additional cost, you can add T‑Mobile ONE Plus and get unlimited high-speed 4G LTE mobile hotspot and more. For more information, read about “Unlimited Everything” with T-Mobile ONE.
Things you should know about Smartphone Mobile HotSpot:
- It only works in 4G and 4G LTE coverage. View our coverage map.
- You can share your Internet connection with up to 10 devices. While connected, you can still make and receive calls and texts.
- For T-Mobile ONE customers who use more data than 97% of our customers (currently over 30 GB per month), the majority of your data usage must be on your smartphone or tablet.
- For Simple Choice customers, once you reach your high-speed data allotment, your SMHS (and on-device) data speed is reduced to 2G speeds. Customers with a Simple Choice unlimited plan will have their SMHS speeds reduced after using 14 GB of mobile hotspot data. In either case, your data won’t stop—you’ll just experience slower speeds until the end of your billing cycle.
- If you're on an older Simple Choice Plan, you'll need to add 500 MB of data. There's no additional charge. Learn how to change your services.
- On all plans, during congestion the top 3% of data users (>30 GB per month) may notice reduced speeds until their next bill cycle. Smartphone/tablet usage is also prioritized over tethering usage, which may result in higher speeds for data used on your smartphone or tablet.
To see your plan details and SMHS bucket, log in to My T-Mobile and click PLAN at the top of the page.
Set up Smartphone Mobile HotSpot
To use SMHS, you'll need a Wi-Fi-enabled or Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or tablet.
- Turn on SMHS on your Wi-Fi-capable device. You can check the Devices page for steps.
- Connect the other devices to your secured Wi-Fi signal. If you don't want to use Wi-Fi, you can use a USB cable to connect to other devices.