Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (SMHS) – also referred to as Wi-Fi Sharing or tethering – is a great way to securely share your smartphone or tablet's Internet connection with your laptop, tablet, and other Wi-Fi-enabled devices on T-Mobile’s high-speed nationwide network.
On this page:
SMHS is a benefit included with Magenta, T-Mobile ONE, and Simple Choice™ plans. It lets you share your phone, tablet or Wi-Fi Hotspot's high-speed data with other Wi-Fi enabled or tethered devices.
To use SMHS, you'll need a Wi-Fi-enabled or Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or tablet.
- Turn on Wi-Fi Sharing (SMHS) on your Wi-Fi-capable device. You can check the Devices page for steps.
- Connect the other devices to your secured Wi-Fi signal. If you don't want to use Wi-Fi, you can use a USB cable to connect to other devices (additional software and setup may be required on your device -- you can check the Devices page for steps).
- SMHS only works in 4G and 4G LTE coverage. View our coverage map.
- A data feature is required on your line for SMHS to function.
- You can share your Internet connection with up to 10 devices. While connected, you can still make and receive calls and texts on your phone.
- For Simple Choice customers, once you reach your high-speed data allotment, your SMHS and on-device data speed is reduced to 2G speeds. Customers with a Simple Choice unlimited plan will have their SMHS speeds reduced after using 14 GB of mobile hotspot data. In either case, your data won’t stop — you’ll just experience slower speeds until the end of your billing cycle.
- Customers with T-Mobile ONE™ can enjoy unlimited SMHS at 3G speeds, or 20GB of 4G LTE SMHS with the T-Mobile ONE Plus add-on.
- If you're having issues connecting your game systems, TVs, or other devices to your Smartphone Mobile HotSpot, contact your device manufacturer for support. We can't guarantee SMHS will be compatible with all devices.
To see your plan details and SMHS bucket, log in to the T-Mobile app and click ACCOUNT. Your plan is displayed at the top of the page with line details below. You can see your Usage and SMHS bucket by clicking Plans and Usage Details > Usage.
On all T-Mobile plans, during congestion, the small fraction of customers using >50GB/mo. may notice reduced speeds until next bill cycle due to data prioritization.