Learn how to master reset the Apple iPhone 3GS through the menu or hardware keys.
Master reset from settings menu
A master reset restores the original factory settings and may delete your personal data on the internal storage, such as downloads, ringtones, images, apps, contacts, and Visual Voicemail. It does not delete data stored on the SIM card or SD card.
To perform a master reset, follow these steps:
- Back up all data on the internal memory.
- From the Home screen, tap Settings.
- Tap General.
- Tap Reset.
- Tap desired option:
- Reset All Settings
- Erase All Content and Settings
- Use this option for master reset.
- Reset Network Settings
- Note: This will delete any saved Wi-Fi profiles.
- Reset Keyboard Dictionary
- Reset Home Screen Layout
- Reset Location Warnings
- Confirm selection..
Master reset with hardware keys
We're sorry, this feature is not available on your device.
Soft reset with hardware keys
If the device menus are frozen or unresponsive, you can soft reset using hardware keys. To perform a soft reset, follow these steps:
- Reset the iPhone by holding the sleep/wake button at the top right of the device and the home button at the bottom center of the face at the same time.
- Hold them both until you see the screen go black.
- Wait until the white Apple logo appears.
- When this happens, you can let go.
- Device is rebooting.