Learn how to use the task manager and free up memory on the Apple iPhone 3GS.
To manage the internal memory, follow these steps:
Restart device regularly
Note: You should restart your phone at least once per day.
- Press and hold the Power key.
- Tap Restart.
Reduce memory use
Note: If your phone is running slow, then you can reduce the amount of memory it is using.
- Delete unnecessary text messages (SMS) and picture messages (MMS).
- Transfer pictures and media to a computer, and remove it from the phone memory.
- Clear the browser cache, cookies, or history.
Note: Manage your applications to keep your device running smoothly.
- Research and monitor new applications that you install
- Read Play Store application reviews before installing. Not all applications run smoothly on phones. Read customer reviews before downloading an application to see if it has a history of not working properly.
- If your device starts having problems after installing an application, consider uninstalling the application (See below: 'Uninstall third-party applications.'
- Keep applications updated
- From any Home screen, tap the Apps Store icon.
- Tap Updates.
- Choose one of the following options:
- Tap Update All to update all applications with updates available.
- Tap Update next to an individual application to update just that app.
- Uninstall third-party applications (see 'Uninstall App')
- Never install a third-party Task Manager or Battery Manager
- These applications interfere with how iOS works
A task manager can view running apps and close them. To use the task manager, follow these steps:
- Press the Home button twice quickly.
- A list of recently used apps appears at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap and hold on an application until it begins jiggling.
- Tap the minus sign on an application to remove it from memory.
View free memory
To view the amount of free internal memory, follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, tap Settings.
- Tap General.
- Tap Usage.