Learn how to connect to data networks (2G, 4G) and data roaming on the T-Mobile Sidekick 4G.
APN & data settings
To set the Access Point Name (APN) and turn on data settings, follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, press Menu.
- Touch Settings.
- Touch Wireless & networks
- Turn off Airplane Mode or Flight Mode
- Tun on Mobile Network (if available)
- Touch Mobile Networks.
- If you see the following check boxes, turn them on:
- Use Packet Data
- Data Roaming
- If the customer is roaming off the T-Mobile Network; turn on Data Roaming This will incur charges if you roam internationally, but it is required to receive data when roaming domestically.
- Touch Access Point Names or APNs.
- If available, tap the T-Mobile US APN (the bullet point fills with green). If not available, tap the Menu key, and then tap New APN.
Note: To reset your APN settings, tap the Menu key and then tap Reset to default.
- Verify and update the following settings for the Data APN:
- Name: T-Mobile US LTE
- APN: fast.t-mobile.com
- Proxy: <Not set>
- Port: <Not set>
- Username: <Not set>
- Password: <Not set>
- Server: <Not set>
- MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
- MMS proxy: <Not set>
- MMS port: <Not set>
- MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
- MCC: 310
- MNC: 260
- Authentication type: <Not set>
- APN type: <Not set> OR Internet+MMS
- APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6
- APN roaming protocol: IPv4
- Enable/disable APN: <greyed out unless there are multiple APN's>
- Bearer: Unspecified
- Tap the Menu key.
- Tap Save.
- Tap the desired APN profile you want to use. The bullet point fills with green next to the APN profile.
Manual network selection
To manually select the wireless network the device connects to, follow these steps:
- From any Home screen, tap the Menu key.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Wireless and network.
- Scroll to and tap Mobile networks.
- Tap Network operators.
- Tap Search now.
- If prompted, tap OK to disconnect data services.
- Scroll to and tap the desired network.
The device detects and registers on wireless networks inside T-Mobile’s calling area, but roaming networks are usually restricted to T-Mobile SIM cards. You can manually select a network only in areas where T-Mobile does not own GSM spectrum.
Switch 2G / 4G
To change the band between 2G and 4G, follow these steps:
Turn on / off Airplane mode
Airplane mode turns off wireless connections. This allows you to use apps and menus, but not make calls or use the internet.
To turn on or turn off airplane mode, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the Power key.
- Tap Flight mode to turn on or off.
Turn on / off data roaming
To turn on or turn off data roaming, follow these steps:
Turn on / off mobile data
We're sorry, but this is not an available feature for your device.