Understanding the Update
Beginning November 15, the Samsung Galaxy S 4G will have a software update to Android version 2.3 / Baseband version T959VUVKJ6. The update will upgrade to Android 2.3 (GingerBread) and include other improvements.
You can update in one way:
Manual download to T959VUVKJ6: You can update via Samsung Kies. Ensure you are on the latest version of Kies prior to attempting the update. See http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/ to confirm the version.
See also: Check the Software version.
Android version 2.3 / Baseband version T959VUVKJ6
- Android version 2.3 / Baseband version T959VUVKJ6
- Manual Update via Kies 11/15/11
- New Feature
- Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
- Google Security Patch
- doubleTwist is no longer on the phone after updating to Baseband version T959VUVKJ6
- Front-facing camera not functional when using Qik Record and Share
- Error: ‘Not Registered’
- Cannot turn on Wi-Fi
- Skin tone is off-color in pictures
- Yellow circle or blotch appears on pictures
- Desktop or laptop PC running Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7
- An available USB port
- All firewall and antivirus programs should be disabled
- Administrative priviledges required to download and install software, including drivers
- Fully charged battery
- The most current software version of Samsung Kies Mini software
Android version 2.2 / Baseband version T959VUVKD1 - Approved 4/18/11
Android version 2.2 / Baseband version T959VUVKB5 - Original Software 2/10/11
Help & How Tos
Download update via Kies
Installing Kies Mini
- Download the most recent version of Kies Mini by visiting http://tinyurl.com/KiesMini1
- Note: Save the file to a desired location - the Desktop is recommended for easy access.
- Double click the Kies Mini file. The program will self extract, no action is required.
- Select the desired Language and Location, then click Next.
- Read the license agreement, check the box for "I accept..." and click Next.
- Kies Mini will begin the installation. No action is required.
- When the process is complete, click Finish.
Prepare the Samsung Galaxy S 4G
- From the Android home screen, press the Menu key and tap Settings.
- Tap Applications.
- Tap USB settings.
- Tap Ask on connection.
- Tap the Escape key once to go back to the Applications menu.
- Tap Development.
- Tap USB Debugging.
- Tap the Home key to exit the settings menu.
- Insert the USB data cable into the phone and then into an available port on the computer.
- Select Samsung Kies at the phone prompt. The PC should recognize several devices and begin installation. This is normal and may take a few minutes. Unplug the data cable when completed.
Upgrade to KJ6
Important: Verify that you have backed up all of your data, including the contents of the internal (non-removable) SD card, to prevent unnecessary data loss.
- On the PC, open the Kies Mini application.
- Connect the Galaxy S 4G to the PC using the USB cable, select Samsung Kies at the phone prompt.
- Important: If the Galaxy S 4G was recently rebooted, allow the device to finish Media Scanning before attempting to connect the device to the PC.
- After a few moments, Kies Mini should indicate that a software update is available.
- Click Phone Upgrade.
- Read the Caution statements, click the checkbox for "I have read and understood...", and click the Upgrade button.
- Kies Mini will contact the server and download the upgrade. Depending on the customer's network conditions and connection speed, this could take several minutes.
- Kies Mini will begin upgrading the device.
- Important: The phone's screen may change state or appear to reboot during the process. DO NOT remove the device from the USB cable or reboot the PC until the update is complete. Doing so can permanently damage the device ("brick" the phone).
- When the installation is complete, click Ok to finish. Wait until the phone is finished rebooting and the Android Home screen displays before disconnecting the device.
If you are experiencing any difficulty after completing the software update, contact Customer Care for further assistance.
What is FOTA?
FOTA stands for Firmware Over The Air and is the process by which required updates and enhancements to your phone's basic operating system can be sent to you through the cellular network. The Galaxy S 4G software update will not be available via FOTA. It is only available on Samsung Kies.
Important: For any issues with the Kies Mini download or installation process or any issues experienced when connecting the Galaxy S 4G to Kies Mini, refer to Samsung 1-888-987-4357 or http://www.samsung.com/us/support/) for further assistance.