On April 21, Motorola and T-Mobile announced the Android 2.2 (Froyo) software update is now available for the Motorola DEFY. To get this optional update, users will need to manually check for software updates and begin the Over-The-Air software update process.
This update delivers a number of new features, including:
- Phone speed and performance - Performance of the phone has been enhanced resulting in faster user interface, application operation, and Web browsing.
- Adobe Flash Player 10.1 - Your device now supports Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1, allowing access to rich Web content and games. Adobe Flash Player 10.1 is installed along with this upgrade.
- App storage and updating - Applications can now be stored on the device's microSD card. Additionally, apps can be set to automatically update by checking "allow automatic updating" under each app's page in the Play Store.
- Wi-Fi Hotspot - Phone can provide an Internet connection for up to 5 Wi-Fi-enabled devices
- Digital Keyboard - Added punctuation to the suggestion ribbon.
- Profiles - Added profiles feature that provides three customizable sets of home screens to give you access to the apps, shortcuts, and widgets you want, when you need them.
- Dialer search - Phone numbers and contacts can now be searched from the dialer screen by entering the first few letters of the contact's name or first few digits of the contact's number.
- Task Manager - Added Task manager app to assist with managing apps.
- LinkedIn - LinkedIn® social network accounts can now be added to integrate with contacts, social networking updates, and messaging.
- Security - Added new security features, including Exchange-based encryption and password security.
- Gallery - Updated the design of the user interface
To manually check for software updates:
- From the Home screen, press the Menu key.
- Select Settings.
- Select About phone.
- Select System Updates.
- Important: The file size of this software update is approximately 112MB. To avoid potential data usage charges, please use a Wi-Fi connection to fully download the software update.
- In addition to updating the platform version to Android 2.2, additional enhancements are included with this update. For information on what’s included, please visit: http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Support/US-EN/Mobile%20Phones/MB525/TMO/RN_Blur_Version.34.4.9.MB525.T-Mobile.en.US.htm