Wi-Fi Calling can make and receive calls or text messages over a Wi-Fi internet connection.
Using Wi-Fi Calling is easy! Simply connect to an available Wi-Fi network and enable Wi-Fi Calling on your device.
To use Wi-Fi Calling, you need a phone that supports T-Mobile Wi-Fi Calling. To set up Wi-Fi Calling on your device, open the Devices page, select your device, and use the help there.
Before you use Wi-Fi Calling, you also need to make sure that you set up your e911 address, as your location may not be automatically available to the dispatcher if you need to call 911. Learn how to set up your e911 address.
Non-T-Mobile devices capable of Wi-Fi Calling
Wi-Fi Calling is available on non-T-Mobile iPhone 5c, 5s, 6, 6 Plus and newer on iOS 8 or later. When a T-Mobile SIM card is inserted into these iPhones, the device receives the T-Mobile Carrier Update that makes Wi-Fi calling options available.
- Not available on iPhone 5 or older devices, even with iOS 8 or later.
- Some manufacturers state their devices have T-Mobile Wi-Fi Calling (for example, Nexus 5x, Nexus 6p, Pixel 2).
- Most of these devices work on T-Mobile Wi-Fi Calling without any problems.
- T-Mobile does not test them (or their software updates) for compatibility, so service cannot be guaranteed or warranted.
- Not available on other non T-Mobile devices.
For setting up corporate networks, please check out: Wi-Fi Calling on a corporate network.
Wi-Fi calls placed to other countries are subject to international long distance rates, based on your international calling feature.
To avoid incurring data roaming charges, make sure that you disable data roaming when traveling internationally. For more information, see International roaming services.
Incoming calls/messages & international calls/messages to the U.S.
With unlimited plans like T-Mobile ONE™ and Simple Choice™, all incoming calls, all incoming messages, and outgoing calls or messages to U.S. numbers are free while connected to Wi-Fi Calling.
If you have a plan that doesn't offer unlimited calling, calls made over Wi-Fi Calling count against your plan minutes. For Pay In Advance prepaid lines, calls made over Wi-Fi deduct from the plan bucket just like regular calls.
International calls to non-U.S. countries
Wi-Fi calls placed to international numbers are subject to these charges:
- If you have a T-Mobile ONE or Simple Choice rate plan:
- If you don't have a T-Mobile ONE or Simple Choice rate plan, Wi-Fi calls made to other countries are charged at World Class Calling rates.
International messages to non-U.S. countries
Text and picture messages (SMS/MMS) you send over Wi-Fi internationally while roaming (that is, to an international number from a country other than the U.S.) are subject to the following:
- $0 if the messages are sent while roaming in a Simple Global country
- $0.50 if the messages are sent while roaming in a non-Simple Global country
When roaming outside the U.S., using VPN may connect you to countries not included in the Simple Global Country list. So even if your location is in a Simple Globabl country, you may be charged World Class rates.
You'll still receive the standard Welcome SMS when VPN connects to another country through your device, and you must enable data by dialing #RON#.