T-Mobile provides a software upgrade for the T-Mobile Wing. This update includes updates that will improve the overall experience with the device.
Before proceeding, please ensure that all data on your Shadow is backed up and the e-mail settings for each of your e-mail accounts are known or are written down. Installing the new software will erase all the data on the device. The software update only needs to be applied once.
To perform a device software upgrade, perform the following steps:
- Ensure all desired media and documents are saved to the Micro SD memory card if one is available, or have been transferred to a computer.
Note: All third party applications and data that remain on the device prior to downloading the new software will be deleted and un-retrievable. Third party applications will need to be re-downloaded after the new software has been installed.
Important: For computers using Windows XP or earlier, ensure ActiveSync 4.5 is installed on your PC. Computers using Vista and Windows 7 will need Windows Mobile Device Center installed. If you have not installed ActiveSync or Windows Mobile Device Center, you can install it from your Getting Started CD or download it from the Microsoft Web site.
- Download the Update Utility from the T-Mobile Download Center.
- From the File Download dialog box, click Save.
- From the Save As dialog box, in the Save in drop-down menu, click to select Desktop.
- In the File name text box, enter T-Mobile Wing MSFP Upgrade, and then click Save.
- From your computer desktop, double-click the T-Mobile Wing MSFP Upgrade.
- From the RUU - InstallShield Wizard dialog box, click Next.
- From the PDA ROM Update Utility 184.108.40.206 dialog box, click to select I understand the caution indicated above and have reviewed the Readme, and then click Next.
Note: To open the Readme file, click View Readme.
- From the PDA ROM Update Utility 220.127.116.11 dialog box dialog box, complete the four steps listed, and then click the check box I have completed the steps above.
- Click Next.
Note: The utility will check for an ActiveSync connection and sufficient battery life.
- From the PDA ROM Update Utility 18.104.22.168 dialog box, click Next.
- Click Next.
Note: Update progress will be shown on the computer and on the device. The upgrade process can take between 10-15 minutes. You may notice that the progress indicator also appears to stall at 85% and 95%. This is normal behavior.
- Once the update has finished, the phone restarts automatically. To close the Update Utility, click Finish.
Note:When the device boots up, it goes through the initial start up routine as if the device was hard reset, or brand new out of the box. The screen will display a Windows Mobile screen with a Microsoft logo. The device will perform an additional update that takes approximately five to ten minutes. When this occurs, the device will re-boot again and your update is complete.