Learn how to wipe the HTC One S through the hardware keys.
Wipe cache partition
If the phone is not working correctly, you may need to master reset it and also clear the cache partition. These two resets clear different parts of the phone storage. Unlike a master reset, wiping the cache partition does not delete your personal data.
To wipe the cache partition, follow these steps:
- Save any open files.
- If the phone is plugged into the charger or USB cable, unplug it.
- Turn off Fast boot.
Note: You can turn it off via Settings, Power, clear the Fast boot bubble.
- Turn off the device.
- With the device turned off, press and hold the Volume Down key.
- Press and release the Power key to turn the phone on. Continue holding the Volume Down key.
- Release the Volume Down key when the three Android images appear on the bottom of the screen. The following options display:
- FACTORY RESET
- IMAGE CRC
Note: If you are stuck on a screen that says 'HBOOT' and 'FASTBOOT' without any other options to choose from, it means you have pressed the Back button. To get to the regular options, press either thePowerkey on HBOOT or the Back button.
- Press the Volume Down key once to select 'RECOVERY.'
- Press the Power key.
- Wait as the device displays the boot up screen, then a black screen for several moments, then shows a picture of a phone with a red triangle.
- On the red triangle screen, press and hold the Volume Up and Power keys at the same time.
- Hold the keys until the buttons begin to flash, then release.
- A blue menu displays:
- Reboot system now
- Apply sdcard:update.zip
- Wipe data/factory reset
- Wipe cache partition
- Press the Volume Down key to scroll to 'Wipe cache partition.'
- Press the Power key to initiate the wipe.
- Wait until the phone displays 'Cache wipe complete.'
- Press the Power key to select 'Reboot system now.'