Learn how to wipe the T-Mobile myTouch 4G through the hardware keys.
Wipe cache partition
If the phone is not working correctly, you may need to master reset it and also clear the cache partition. These two resets clear different parts of the phone storage. Unlike a master reset, wiping the cache partition does not delete your personal data.
To wipe the cache partition, follow these steps:
- Save any open files.
- If the phone is plugged into the charger or USB cable, unplug it.
- Remove the battery and re-insert it.
Note: If the battery is not removable, turn off Fast boot and then turn off the device. You can turn it off inSettings, Power, clear the Fast boot check box.
- With the device turned off, press and hold the Volume Down key.
- Press and release the Power key to turn the phone on. Continue holding the Volume Down key.
- Release the Volume Down key when the three Android images appear on the bottom of the screen. The following options display:
- Press the Volume Down key once to select RECOVERY.
- Press the Power key.
- Wait as the device displays the boot up screen, then shows a picture of a phone with a red triangle.
- On the red triangle screen, hold the Up Volume key and press the Power key at the same time. A blue menu displays:
- Press the Down Volume key three times to scroll to Wipe cache partition.
- Press the Power key to initiate the wipe.
- Wait until the phone displays 'Cache wipe complete.'
- Press the Power key to select Reboot system now.
Note: If the phone hangs on a black screen for several minutes or more while turned on, remove the battery, re-insert it, and turn on the phone.