Learn how to wipe the Google Nexus 4 through the hardware keys.
Wipe cache partition
If the phone is not working correctly, you may need to master reset it and also clear the cache partition. These two resets clear different parts of the phone storage. Unlike a master reset, wiping the cache partition does not delete your personal data.
To wipe the cache partition, follow these steps:
- Turn off the device.
- Press and hold the Volume Down button, then press and hold the Power button at the same time until the phone turns on.
- Press the Volume Down button twice to highlight "Recovery mode."
- Press the Power button to start recovery mode. An Android robot with a red exclamation mark will display.
- While holding down the Power button, press and release the Volume Up button.
- Use the volume buttons to scroll to "wipe cache partition," then press the Power button to select it.
- Press the Power button to select reboot system now.
Note: If your phone becomes unresponsive at any point during these steps, you can restart it by holding down the Power button for several seconds.