Learn how to view free space and free up storage on the Google Nexus 4.
To manage the internal storage space, follow these steps:
Clear storage regularly
Note: Clear storage at least once per week.
- Check the available internal device storage (see 'View free storage space' below).
It must be over 150 MB for your device. The Android system cannot work properly if the internal device storage is below 150 MB. If under 150 MB, use the following tips to clear more storage:
- Delete unnecessary text messages (SMS) and picture messages (MMS).
- Transfer pictures and media to a computer to remove them from the phone memory.
- Clear the browser cache, cookies, or history.
- Clear Facebook app cache.
- Manage applications. See section below.
- Delete the call logs.
Adjust memory storage settings
Follow these tips to prevent your ROM storage from quickly filling up.
- Set text and multimedia message limits to delete messages automatically
- From the Home screen, tap Hangouts.
- Tap the Menu icon.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap SMS.
- Tap Delete old messages to check the box and enable.
- Change Gmail synchronization setting to every three days
Monitor new applications that you install.
- If your device starts having problems after installing an application, consider uninstalling the application.
- Consider uninstalling apps using large amounts of ROM.
- From any Home screen, tap the All apps icon.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Apps.
- If necessary, swipe left or right to the All screen or the Downloaded screen.
- To sort apps from largest users of ROM to lowest, tap the Menu key and then tap Sort by size. The apps using the most ROM are now listed at the top of the list.
- Tap the desired application to be uninstalled.
Note: Uninstalling an app will delete the app.
- Tap Uninstall and then tap OK.
See also: Memory management: Android