1 2 3 4 Previous Next 54 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2014 7:23 AM by joemccrary1253 RSS

GALAXY NOTE 3 BATTERY LIFE SUCKS AFTER 4.4 KITKAT UPGRADE

atomsmasher

Battery life was so good on 4.3, even after heavy use it would last me through the entire day and then some. After the update, I'm draining juice like there is no tomorrow. The battery doesn't even last me half the day with the same amount of usage as before. WTF!!!....what made this phone a beast was that it had insane battery life for such a powerful device, that you could heavily use it and it lasted through the entire day,but this update has ruined it. I know I sound like a kid who had his candy stolen, but this is making me angry and sad at the same time. Is there a way to downgrade? I don't want to look up rooting, never was into that, I just want to know if there is an easy way to go back to 4.3. If not, can t-mobile provide that option?

• 1. Re: GALAXY NOTE 3 BATTERY LIFE SUCKS AFTER 4.4 KITKAT UPGRADE
    sebascvdb

Battery life does suck.

Unfortunately you can not revert back to 4.3 even with rooting since you've updated the bootloader to 4.4.2 and can not be revert back to a 4.3 bootloader even with root.

You could Root and install a custom 4.4.2 rom but for more info head over to XDA Developers they'll be able to help you out more and have plenty on info on it.

• 2. Re: GALAXY NOTE 3 BATTERY LIFE SUCKS AFTER 4.4 KITKAT UPGRADE
    fifth313ment

Sorry as seba said there is nothing to do but ask T-Mobile for a replacement phone which they will send you but know it will be a refurbished (aka used) phone. I didn't pay $800 for a brand new device that worked great until their update and then bonked it and now want to give me a used one. I have used this analogy before but it is true. Like spending 40k on a new car only to have the transmission break a month in from a manufacturers defect. Now instead of fixing the issue they simply give you someone else's car that's been used instead. No one would tolerate that in that instance and I won't have it here either. I went from getting 10 hours screen on time and two days at least use of standby to maybe 5 hours screen on time and barely a day of standby usage! That's a 50% loss of battery and we know why yet T-Mobile still pushed the update. please read my do not download KitKat post for more info.

5th

• 3. Re: GALAXY NOTE 3 BATTERY LIFE SUCKS AFTER 4.4 KITKAT UPGRADE
    atomsmasher

Just saw your post, and many others with the same issue. I wouldn't want to get a refurbished replacement either. I paid over $800 (w/ taxes) up front for this phone, no installments plans, paid up front because I'm a prepaid customer. I didn't mind the high cost because this phone was worth it to me, main feature for me being the battery life. And now, suffice to say what I have is an $800 paper weight. I'm hoping some kind of update will be pushed out that can remedy this.

• 4. Re: GALAXY NOTE 3 BATTERY LIFE SUCKS AFTER 4.4 KITKAT UPGRADE
    theartiszan

Oh it's hardly a paper weight.

I'm sure once Google finds the problem Samsung can issue a update to fix the issue.

Might take a little while though.

Not something that happens over night.

• 5. Re: GALAXY NOTE 3 BATTERY LIFE SUCKS AFTER 4.4 KITKAT UPGRADE
    hothtron

That's the wrong answer artiszan

• 6. Re: GALAXY NOTE 3 BATTERY LIFE SUCKS AFTER 4.4 KITKAT UPGRADE
    theartiszan

Oh really?

How is that wrong sir?

Based on your knowledge on development for android.

• 7. Re: GALAXY NOTE 3 BATTERY LIFE SUCKS AFTER 4.4 KITKAT UPGRADE
    hothtron

You may write code, but you obviously don't know squat about face to face customer support and people interaction for quality assurance. May I suggest you go back to your little coding room and stay there?

• 8. Re: GALAXY NOTE 3 BATTERY LIFE SUCKS AFTER 4.4 KITKAT UPGRADE
    theartiszan

Oh you make me laugh.

Please continue.

If it weren't for people like me you wouldn't have have the technology you do today.

If there is a bug in the base code causing issues the base needs to be fixed first and then manufacturer can send it devices.

No amount of customer support or face to face anything will change buddy.

You can research it before you continue if you would like.

Google even stated with the nexus 5 (the device the base code starts on) that it had this flaw.

• 9. Re: GALAXY NOTE 3 BATTERY LIFE SUCKS AFTER 4.4 KITKAT UPGRADE
    hothtron

Research is done and is concluded as following.

1. Google did a pizz poor job of kitkat coding along with Q&A to begin with.

2. T-Mobile failed to do in depth quality assurance and testing with kitkat OTA software release.

• 10. Re: GALAXY NOTE 3 BATTERY LIFE SUCKS AFTER 4.4 KITKAT UPGRADE
    theartiszan

Yeah Google did have a bug on their code.

That happens from time to time when you are working with millions of lines of code.

Even with Microsoft and Apple who have been doing this longer still has this happen.

And as was also pointed out, this does not effect all users and might have been missed during testing.

And T-Mobile mainly checks to ensure their services still work as intended. They don't error check everything as they don't develop it.

Bottom line is Google needs to now root out the issue and release a fix to trickle down.

That is fact and what I stated before.

• 11. Re: GALAXY NOTE 3 BATTERY LIFE SUCKS AFTER 4.4 KITKAT UPGRADE
    fifth313ment

Keep it clean guys. I agree with both of you. Google can't catch everything but they ruined my Note 3. I could live with the battery drain bug but the WiFi calling bug makes my phone unusable as I get no signal at my house. And T-Mobile needs to use customer service skills they brag about and replace my phone with a NEW (not used) Note 3 with JellyBean. $800 and my service of T-Mobile should be enough to warrant this for those who want a new phone and not refurbished (if they ask and I'm guessing 99% won't care, but I DO!) Also they sneakily removed the SD card support without a notice at all! Artiszan they know the issue but you know how long it takes for it to trickle back down. But these aren't the only issues, see my long post on it for more. But WiFi calling issue affects many as does the battery.

Art, mine is as good as a paperweight. Not being able to use my phone at home is a dealbreaker for me. Do you not think for people like me there should be an exception? I'm not trying to get a new phone as I would rather them fix mine, as I have a spigen glass screen protector on mine and the case was a pain to put on. So me getting a new phone is a gamble for me as I might get one with a dead pixel or something else wrong. So it is really bad for me in the long run. I'm not taking someone eles's problem only to probably be forced into the KitKat update in a month and then I'll have a broken phone and used one!

5th

• 12. Re: GALAXY NOTE 3 BATTERY LIFE SUCKS AFTER 4.4 KITKAT UPGRADE
    rbryinc

I totally agree, I also do not think there is ever a need for people to get nasty in a forum as everyone uses their phone for something else.  To me I have no WIFI issue or huge battery issue as my phone is plugged in most of the time thru the week at work I on the other hand with the way I use my phone have a HUGE issue with the SD card situation but that is me....

• 13. Re: GALAXY NOTE 3 BATTERY LIFE SUCKS AFTER 4.4 KITKAT UPGRADE
    atomsmasher

Okay, just an update. I'm getting roughly 1-1.5  hours screen on time since KitKat. This is with very light use as I see the battery draining so quickly. Before on Jellybean, with HEAVY use I was averaging around 4.5 - 5 hours of screen on time. Another thing I noticed is even when the phone is idle it drains battery extremely fast. I charged it to 100% before going to sleep, kept the phone unplugged with screen off, woke up about 8 hours later, my phone is at 15%....WTF. This is after a factory reset, not that I had downloaded anything new since jellybean anyways. I have contacted tmobile and they said they can do a replacement but it will be for a refurbished device. I didn't spend over $800 for a new device 2 months ago to get it replaced with a used device because of this crappy update. I'm at a loss right now. I've been thinking, isn't the CEO John Legere a big fan of the Galaxy Note 3 along with his Iphone 5. I wonder how he is doing with the update. Maybe we should all send him a message on twitter or something. I am at the point where I'm about to take this phone and throw it at the wall, consider it a loss, and move onto something else.

• 14. Re: GALAXY NOTE 3 BATTERY LIFE SUCKS AFTER 4.4 KITKAT UPGRADE
    riversdirect

Did you guys ever get a resolution the battery drain problems on the Note 3?  I have the same problem.  The battery life was awesome before I could go all day with medium use and still have 45 to 50% left. Now i have about 20 to 25% left.  It drains a lot when its doing nothing like everyone said too.  Nothing changed except I got the kitkat update. I don't have skype installed either.  Actually I never had skype installed. Kitkat is nice but I'd go back to 4.3 any day for the original battery life.  Now it sucks and Im thinking about jumping to another phone.  Maybe the G2 or GS5.  I can not stand this.  I have a feeling waiting for an update will take forever.  Any recommendations?

1 2 3 4 Previous Next