7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2013 3:51 PM by rudie32 RSS

Austin, TX LTE nexus 4

Does anyone know when LTE will come to Austin, TX 78758?  I have the nexus 4 and can turn on the LTE radio *#*#4636#*#*

• 1. Re: Austin, TX LTE nexus 4
    tidbits

If you are not on 4.2.2 then yes. Keep in mind it is not legal to do so. The Nexus 4 is not certified as a LTE device.

• 2. Re: Austin, TX LTE nexus 4

San Antonio here and I am looking at my Nexus 4 zipping along LTE right now as we speak. Dial *#*#4636#*#* on your handset to access the Testing screen. Then within Phone Info change your preferred network to LTE/GSM/CDA. You will notice that whenever you are using data the indicator will switch from 3G to H, then back to 3G when you are not actively consuming data - this is normal behavior to save battery life.

Try to stay out of that menu as much as possible. In my experience, if you set it and leave it the hell alone it will work as planned. I've successfully jumped on/off WiFi and rebooted, and received LTE data connections afterwards if I "set it and forget it". But, if your phone is on WiFi or 3G when you open that panel up it will reset your preferred network to the default setting.

I would question the "it's not legal" accusations; the Nexus 4 only supports LTE on band 4, T-Mobile is only rolling out LTE on band 4, T-Mobile happens to be the preferred carrier of the Nexus 4 within the US. One hell of a coincidence if you ask me, next year we'll all look back and consider the whole incident silly. It's pretty clear Google and T-Mobile agreed not to make LTE support public until T-Mobile expanded it's network. Unfortunately, T-Mobile dropped the ball themselves when they failed to edit the device documentation, whereas Google has publicly stated their documentation (lacking mention of HSPA+) was incorrect.

• 3. Re: Austin, TX LTE nexus 4
    tidbits

walesmd wrote:

San Antonio here and I am looking at my Nexus 4 zipping along LTE right now as we speak. Dial *#*#4636#*#* on your handset to access the Testing screen. Then within Phone Info change your preferred network to LTE/GSM/CDA. You will notice that whenever you are using data the indicator will switch from 3G to H, then back to 3G when you are not actively consuming data - this is normal behavior to save battery life.

Try to stay out of that menu as much as possible. In my experience, if you set it and leave it the hell alone it will work as planned. I've successfully jumped on/off WiFi and rebooted, and received LTE data connections afterwards if I "set it and forget it". But, if your phone is on WiFi or 3G when you open that panel up it will reset your preferred network to the default setting.

I would question the "it's not legal" accusations; the Nexus 4 only supports LTE on band 4, T-Mobile is only rolling out LTE on band 4, T-Mobile happens to be the preferred carrier of the Nexus 4 within the US. One hell of a coincidence if you ask me, next year we'll all look back and consider the whole incident silly. It's pretty clear Google and T-Mobile agreed not to make LTE support public until T-Mobile expanded it's network. Unfortunately, T-Mobile dropped the ball themselves when they failed to edit the device documentation, whereas Google has publicly stated their documentation (lacking mention of HSPA+) was incorrect.

FCC documents support HSPA+ and NOT LTE.  This is SOLE reason why Google REMOVED the "support" for it on the Nexus 4.  If the Nexus 4 did support LTE, and was certified we would have known much like the Note 2 is certified, the S3 isn't.  It's all in the white papers.  The Nexus 4 does NOT support LTE.  Just because it has the hardware it does not have the antenna nor does it have FCC backing to have LTE which is a violation and if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time and it causes interference you WILL go to jail.

• 4. Re: Austin, TX LTE nexus 4
    tidbits

The reason why the LTE menu was there in the first place was because of the Galaxy Nexus LTE.  in 4.2.2 they differenciated the two devices which removed the menu option for the Nexus 4(which shouldn't have it in the first place).

• 5. Re: Austin, TX LTE nexus 4
    21stnow

For data speeds, "H" equals HSPA+, not LTE.  Phones that have LTE usually actually have the letters LTE in the display if that is the network that the phone is accessing.

• 6. Re: Austin, TX LTE nexus 4

A am not on 4.2.2. I am waiting to see if LTE will actually appear on my screen. H already appears at the top by the signal.  Also, my question asked if anyone knew when LTE was coming to Austin? Thanks.

• 7. Re: Austin, TX LTE nexus 4
    rudie32

T-Mobile LTE is showing up as an available network in san diego starting 2 days ago on my nexus 4.