Hey there boys and girls ... I know we're all excited about Gingerbread coming to the myTouch 4G .. and we should be! It's always a good thing to get the latest OS update and see the changes and improvements it brings.
With that said, I went through and made a list of new things I've found that Gingerbread brings. I hope that it helps a few of you out there in deciding whether or not the update is for you but to mainly show how much has actually changed. (at least that I've noticed)
Feel free to point out anything else you've noticed in addition to these things. I tried making it as simple as I could ... hope it's not confusing to anyone. If it is, just let me know and I'll try to clear it up if I can.
General things that have changed
- new 4G status icon replaces H icon
- new Internet Explorer app icon
- new Tmobile Mall (just a suggestion app based on the apps you have)
- new Tmobile Highlight (think news feed)
- new Unread messages icon
- new Gmail notification icon
- new Market download notification icon
- new Downloads app
- new Notifications area (added Quick Settings tab)
Stock mail things that have changed
- new option to view an Inbox + Sent folder combined
- new option to Show CC/BCC when recipient is selected
Messaging things that have changed
- new options no longer combined ... they're separated for Notification, Text messages (SMS), Multimedia messages (MMS) and General
- new recipient phone number field added above text area when responding to a message
- new compose option to add Quick text when responding
- new option to search Messages from Home
- moved other options around .. no longer an option for Push messages etc on Home
Settings that have changed
- new Internet call settings/options (Settings > Call)
- new Home country and Home dialing options (Settings > Call)
- new Storage use option (Settings > Application > Manage Applications)
- new UI for application managing .. added conversation bubble highlighting Internal store use
- moved option for Fast Boot from under Applications to under Power setting (also renamed it Power and not Power saver)
- new option for Software updates and Tell HTC (Settings > About phone)
- moved Lock screen option for displaying message text on lock (Settings > Privacy) ... formerly under Messages settings
Functions that have changed
- changed the way Cache is calculated ... no longer added to total app size
- improved font and resolution (menus clearer, more room on screen)
So far that's all I've noticed. I'm sure there's much more but like I said .. just wanted to give you guys and girls a quick reference to use if you needed.
Thanks Deacon, great comprehensive list. Pix too. Any battery effect that you've noticed?
no prob .. glad you checked it out
and actually yeah ..i noticed that i've yet to have the "heated battery" that i used to get a few times a day. hasn't happened at all since updating. the back of my phone used to get hot with the battery but it hasn't yet.
that may be in my head lol and i've noticed it charges better if that makes sense. i used to have my phone on the charge for quite some time to get a full charge but now it seems it takes half as long ..
norcal123 wrote: Thanks Deacon, great comprehensive list. Pix too. Any battery effect that you've noticed?
- new copy/cut/paste feature in Gmail ... long press on an area in an email and you'll see- predictive text boxes are now larger, easier to select
- new way to handle misspelled words when composing text,email .. it will underline the word in red
Some additional things I just noticed.
Good looking out Deacon. It helps me a lot even though I'm waiting for the OTA. Till the AT&Tanic ships rolls to port if I have to.
Thanks for the information about where to get the update. I called many stores in Dallas. Only two stores received the sd card. The one close to Love Field Airport got it but the card is defective. Well, I took the long drive to E. Lamar to get my update. Well worth it in my opinion. Now, I can view mpeg videos that I couldn't in the past. Google must have updated the way Android handles mpeg links/embedded video pages.
you're welcome Di and mt4g2bw
glad you got the info i left about where to get the update in Dallas my friend.
Hey fiftyone thank's fior the freat info. Got a question maybe u can answer one do u have update aready cuz I got mine at the t-mobile store yesterday like it said and not a big deal but when I left my phone was wiped I knew that would happen and I did have the tmobile highlight app like u mentioned but an hour later it just dissapeared I installed my apps back and the ones part of sytem just said update but highlights app said install at that time was still on phone so didn't install figured when it got updated it would fix but then like I said dissapeared. I thought it was part of the system now could not be deleted. Thnks for help or info.
yep i have the update too and it wiped my phone as well. i don't know why your Highlights app is gone .. you may try restarting the phone (not reseting)...just restarting it. take the battery out and put it back together again. see if that fixes you.
jordan913 wrote: Hey fiftyone thank's fior the freat info. Got a question maybe u can answer one do u have update aready cuz I got mine at the t-mobile store yesterday like it said and not a big deal but when I left my phone was wiped I knew that would happen and I did have the tmobile highlight app like u mentioned but an hour later it just dissapeared I installed my apps back and the ones part of sytem just said update but highlights app said install at that time was still on phone so didn't install figured when it got updated it would fix but then like I said dissapeared. I thought it was part of the system now could not be deleted. Thnks for help or info.
Thnks so much for your help deacon I actuall did a factory reset and it is there how or why it dissapeered I don't know but gonna try again. Did get the new android market 3.2.7 not sure if that caused it but will see when the market updates again. Thanks again appreciate the help.
no problemo jordan .. glad it fixed itself
Ok Deacon, nosy, I mean curious me wants to know what a "highlight app" is??
Well Highlight is a new app from T-Mobile which is now stck in android 2.3.4 Gingerbred basically it's a customizable news and inf appp, don't really use but is messed up in the new OS it shows up in the app drawer and works but under applications in settings it isn't listed and I found out doing an update to T-Mobile Mall App which is now stock screws up the highlight app. Since Deacon had same thing I know is glitch in new OS.
ladydi wrote: Ok Deacon, nosy, I mean curious me wants to know what a "highlight app" is??
what jordan said
it's just a news type RSS app for stuff you'll likely never need to see.
- wow .. reception in the FM radio is much improved!
Retrieving data ...