12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 9:31 AM by tmo_mikem RSS

Installed update now my phone won't stop restarting

This morning I found to my surprise a new update. Unaware of any issues, I downloaded the new version. That was about an hour ago. Since installing the update my phone has restarted itself about ten times! It won't restart when I'm actively using it, but once it's in sleep mode it's only a matter of minutes before happens again!

Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Installed update now my phone won't stop restarting
    tmo_mikem

Hi sunny,

That is not something anybody else has mentioned happening, so it really doesn't have to do with any issues with the updated software itself. At any rate, I hope we can find a simple solution.

To start off with, I have 2 things I'd like to try before going much further. These things help get rid of any cache files that might have been left over after the update. Those leftover files--especially from apps--may be causing this.

1. When you master reset, please make sure you use the Erase all data option. You can back things up, but please don't restore them until after you test connecting again.
      1. Back up all necessary data and synchronize files.
      2. From any Home screen, tap the Applications icon.
      3. Scroll to and tap Settings.
      4. Tap Storage.
      5. Scroll to and tap Factory data reset.
      6. THIS STEP: !! Tap to check (turn on) the Erase all data check box !!
      7. Tap Reset phone.
      8. Tap Erase everything.
    2. Wipe the device cache. This is often not erased in a master reset, but won't erase anything you use.

Then after the master reset and clearing the cache, please let us know:

• how the device is working.
    • what apps are installed (should probably be none after the reset)
    • "Internal storage available" and "Phone storage available" (pull down Notification bar, tap the Settings gear. Tap Storage. Read the Internal Storage > Available and the Phone storage > Available.
    • what software version were you on previously before the update?
    • have you ever had any non-factory software on the device? and is the device S-off?
  • 2. Re: Installed update now my phone won't stop restarting

Hi Mike,

I have done the master reset including checking the box to get rid of everything, then clearing the cashe folowing the instructions provided. I'm sad to say that this did not fix the issue.

I installed/updated the apps included with the phone and 27 others that I have used long before this morning.

internal storage available: 1.53GB

Phone storage available: 9.86

Thanks,

Sunny

• 3. Re: Installed update now my phone won't stop restarting
    tmo_mikem

Your available space looks good.

Did you try to use the device before installing 27 apps? That's a lot of apps (and a lot of variables. we can't look at how the device itself is working if they are running too, as it is a lot of variables). Even if you used the app for a long time, app developers occasionally release an app update that has a bug in it. And after a software update, your phone is different... even if the app worked on a previous software version, the developer may not have tested it with your new software. So you may have to start over testing apps. Any One S would react to apps the same way, if they aren't written to work well with this version of Android.

One example is the Weather Channel, which sometimes introduces new bugs as it updates. There's many apps with bugs, but I just mention this one specifically because this one caused me to think my phone was defective before. It had worked fine for quite a while. Only after testing without apps did I find out it was causing the problem.

So one possibility is that an app that you may have used for a long time may have automatically updated and caused problems. Can you please try to:

1. Test it with no apps installed for a while. If the problem happens with no apps installed, we can look more at the phone.

2. If the problem does not happen come back no apps, then the phone is fine. You can re-install apps one-at-a-time and test it for a little while after installing. If the problem stays away, then

If the problem comes back, remove the newest 1-2 apps and leave feedback in the Play Store that it is causing restarts.

3. After you determine that each app is working fine, you can install the next one.

Also, did you try the Wipe cache partition?

• 4. Re: Installed update now my phone won't stop restarting

ok, so I wiped it again. factory reset. cleared cashe partition. Updated nothing. Still restarting. What now?

• 5. Re: Installed update now my phone won't stop restarting
    tmo_candace

Hi sunny0105,

We would like to further investigate this for you. I sent you a private message.

Hope to hear from you!

--candace

Community Mod

• 6. Re: Installed update now my phone won't stop restarting

How have things been since you last posted to this thread? I just got the update last night, and since this morning my phone crashed/restarted over 7 times.

Store had no idea what to do and asked me to call the 800 number, which I will try tonight.

• 7. Re: Installed update now my phone won't stop restarting

Just wondering if the problems was been fixed and what was the solution? I got an update yesterday (Jan 10) and my phone now freezes and reboots immediatly after booting up. I did a factory reset and the cleared cache and it still has the problem. My phone worked fined before I got the update, now my phone is currently useless.

• 8. Re: Installed update now my phone won't stop restarting
    tmo_mikem

abushnaq

Did you try the 2 steps posted above? Then try using the device with zero apps.

To start off with, I have 2 things I'd like to try before going much further. These things help get rid of any cache files that might have been left over after the update. Those leftover files--especially from apps--may be causing this.

1. When you master reset, please make sure you use the Erase all data option. You can back things up, but please don't restore them until after you test connecting again.
      4. Tap Storage.
      7. Tap Reset phone.
      8. Tap Erase everything.
    2. Wipe the device cache. This is often not erased in a master reset, but won't erase anything you use.

If you did, can you answer the questions:

• "Internal storage available" and "Phone storage available" (pull down Notification bar, tap the Settings gear. Tap Storage. Read theInternal Storage > Available and the Phone storage > Available.
  • 9. Re: Installed update now my phone won't stop restarting
    tmo_mikem

eleugers,

Did you try the 2 steps posted above? Then try using the device with zero apps.

4. Tap Storage.
      7. Tap Reset phone.
      8. Tap Erase everything.

If you did, can you answer the questions:

• "Internal storage available" and "Phone storage available" (pull down Notification bar, tap the Settings gear. Tap Storage. Read theInternal Storage > Available and the Phone storage > Available.
  • 10. Re: Installed update now my phone won't stop restarting
    rivrsurvivor

I installed an update 2 days ago and now the same thing happens to my phone. It will actually freeze during either text or email, and restart itself. It also restarts just sitting on the charger. Isn't an update supposed to be a positive thing? Why would I want an update if I then need to reset my phone to factory settings and start over? Doesn't that sound as if it would be defeating the who;e purpose of UPDATE??

• 11. Re: Installed update now my phone won't stop restarting

Hi Mike,

No I haven't tried that yet, as I also haven't had a chance to call support.  I have been trying to see if there was a pattern to the crashes, but so far it happens while using different apps, and sometimes even when I just try to unlock the phone.

I need to make sure I backup all my stuff before I reset the phone, so I copied all the files when I mounted it on my computer.  However, how do I know that I am not going to lose something? is there a way to ensure I can restore the phone?

It is frustrating that an updated turned a phone that I absolutely enjoyed using into an unreliable brick.

• 12. Re: Installed update now my phone won't stop restarting
    tmo_mikem

Hi Abushnaq,

Here is a very general doc for all devices that may help a bit with backing up: Prepare for a master reset and back up data: Android. In general, you can do this which covers most common scenarios:

• Data - Move all data in storage to your computer via USB
    • Contacts - Check that all your contacts are stored on your Gmail account (not the phone memory... these do not back up with the data via USB). If not, move them to the Google account on the device.
    • SMS and MMS - If you want to keep these, you may need to use a backup app.
    • Third-party apps - All your apps will be deleted. You can re-download them after the reset. You may want to write down what their names are. If they store their data to the internal storage, you would have backed it up with the data via USB and can restore it later.

I'm really sorry this has happened and it comes to a reset. T-Mobile and HTC always test software to try and prevent update problems, but there are so many apps/customizations/changes made to Android devices that problems do come up rarely.