2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2012 2:12 PM by juliebun RSS

International texting with unlocked iPhone 4 PLEASE HELP!!

Hi All.

I have recently moved from the UK to the US, and brought with me my beloved iPhone 4, which I had unlocked by my uk provider, Vodafone.  I then researched phone plans in the US that included international texts and calling to the UK, so I could keep in touch with my friends there.  AT & T has an intl package  that includes 100 countries, but not the UK strangely, so I went with TMobile, with their $50 prepaid no contract sim, with an additional $10 a month unlimited texting and 250 minutes of phone calls to landline numbers in a number of other countries, including the UK.

I am having HUGE problems in texting the UK.  I seem to be able to receive texts fine, both nationally and internationally.  But sending them appears to have no rhyme or reason, and the majority *look* like they are being sent, but they are not.  One weird thing is that when the text is not sent properly, it creates a new folder within messages with these failed messages in it - still labelled whatever contact name I was sending them two.  So I will have two folders for a person - one with their incoming messages, and a few odd ones that were successfully sent, and then another folder, same contact name, which contains only my failed sent messages.  They are not flagged as 'failed' messages - with the little exclaimation mark in a red circle, but they are just in a separate folder, and I now know they have not been received.  These are all just SMS messages, I've not attempted any picture messages, I'm not that bothered whether I can send those or not.  I just want to be able to have quick chats with my friends - one main one who has no computer at mo, so this is the best method of communication.

I have spend hours in a T-mobile store, done online chats to customer service, and spent a long time on several occasions with tech support on the phone.  They have tried all sorts - turn on/off phone, keep wifi turned off, and 3G turned off, first I tried configuring the foreign telephone numbers in the format 011 44 number (44 is the code for UK)  which worked a bit, but then didn't.  Today a tech person suggested changing them to the format + 44 number and initially this appeared to work, and for a short period all the international text messages I sent were received.  But this evening I tried to send one twice, and it's back to the old problem, even though I went through all my contacts and changed them to the + 44 format.

I have been given all the settings that have been mentioned in other threads -

APN: epc.tmobile.com

Note: For some iPhone unlocks you may need to use wap.voicestream.com. (I have tried texting with both of these addresses in APN: - didn't seem to make a difference)

Username:

Password:

Enter the following information under the MMS section:

APN: epc.tmobile.com

Username:

Password:

MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.50:8080 (Leave Blank for 4S)

MMS Max Message Size: 1048576 (Leave Blank for 4S)

MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

which I have checked and double checked to make sure they are entered correctly.

Can anyone please suggest anything else I can do?  I seem to have exhausted T Mobile's tech support's ideas.  I am so very frustrated, as I have paid all this money specifically to be able to text the UK, and can't seem to get it to work for more than a little while

One other thing I wondered... could it have anything to do with the T Mobile signal strength when you send the text?  On one of the recordings on the tmobile help number queues, it says for international calls, make sure you have three bars.  My parents, where I am staying till I get settled, live out in the countryside, and so there may only be one or two bars of signal on the phone. 

Thank you so much for reading this, and hopefully having a suggestion or solution, as I am mega fed up.

• 1. Re: International texting with unlocked iPhone 4 PLEASE HELP!!
    tmo_candace

Hi juliebun,

I can see this has been a huge problem.  Although T-Mobile does not guarantee full functionality of non T-Mobile devices, we should be able to take some additional steps to get this working.  I'm glad you were able to send a few texts by manually dialing the number in the +44 format.  When you tried it later that evening, were you manually dialing the number or only going through the phonebook entries?  Manual dialing may be needed.  If you were manually dialing, have we submitted a network ticket for this issue?  If not, a ticket would be the next step. 

Hope to hear from you soon!

--candace

Community Moderator

• 2. Re: International texting with unlocked iPhone 4 PLEASE HELP!!

Hi Candace.

I have tried what you suggested, manually typing in the number, rather than just using 'reply' or finding them in my address book, and a few have gone through this way!!  Very odd, but I am glad to have been able to send a text.  A bit of a pain to have to key in the number each time I want to send a text to someone though.  My one friend I know her number by heart, but most of my friends I rely on the contacts to have their number.  Any reason why this might work in this way?

I will come back to you if I continue manually dialing and they still are not going through.  Fingers crossed that this fixes the problem, odd though it is that this would need to be the case.

Thanks. 

Julie