8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2012 2:29 PM by rudie32 RSS

With new Google terms, how do I delete google apps

With the new Google Terms of Service, I am not comfortable with sharing data across all of my Google services and devices. Consequently, I would like to delete those Google apps that I do not use. Unfortunately, I do not seem to be able to delete either Google Maps or Google Music. How can I delete those system apps without having to void my warranty?

• 1. Re: With new Google terms, how do I delete google apps
    rudie32

Just go to accounts, and remove your google accounts. then go to google's account management and cancel your account. You will lose all purchased apps and you will no longer have access to the android market anymore or even gmail, and any other service. Only way to not agree with the google terms. Continued use of your google account accepts the new terms.

• 2. Re: With new Google terms, how do I delete google apps

That was not really my question. I don't want to get rid of my google account and gmail. I just don't want the Maps and Music applications running on my HTC Amaze. Those are the only two google apps I want to delete. With the change to the Google policy, we should be allowed to delete selective applications from the phone, even if they were part of the "system".

• 3. Re: With new Google terms, how do I delete google apps
    rudie32

Getting rid of the app does nothing in regards to the terms. You will still be shown as accepting the terms. Nothing changes other than you don't have the app. Your google account still has google maps as part of your account.

If you don't care about the terms, you can root your phone and uninstall it. New terms still apply.         

• 4. Re: With new Google terms, how do I delete google apps

The difference is that if Maps was not on my phone, it would not be tracking my location and using for other purposes, such as their own example of alerting you if your location is too far away for an upcoming meeting on your calendar. Before the policy change, they could not use my phone map data to provide "services" for other google items. I don't seem to be able to delete it or even stop it from running. I should have that control. HTC or TMobile should allow me to remove any application I want to remove.

The difference between mobile apps and normal desktop apps/web sites is that if I "choose" to visit google maps on my computer, I understand the data can be used. If I don't ever go to maps.google.com, then Google does not have map-related searches or locations to use. On my Android phone, however, the Maps and Music apps are installed automatically, and run in the background even if I do not start them. Consequently the mere fact that I use a Google account for the phone gives them the data from these apps without me every launching them. In these cases, I would be agreeing for Google to collect data from apps that I did not choose to install or use.

• 5. Re: With new Google terms, how do I delete google apps
    rudie32

Location is part of the actual android system. Uninstalling google maps wont help with that, at all.

Simple solution is to go to settings, then location, and uncheck gps and network locating options. Thats what tracks you. Without google maps, it still will still track you.

• 6. Re: With new Google terms, how do I delete google apps
    tmo_alicia_b

Hi mheavin,

There is no way to remove either of those apps from your phone. The music app will not be connected to you or your Google account unless you initiate that connection. As far as the Maps, rudie32 is correct.

• 7. Re: With new Google terms, how do I delete google apps
    chromejob

Just logout or change account in the apps, go to Settings | Applications | Manage applications, and clear data and cache from those apps. Then don't run them.

As mentioned the "tracking my movements" settings are elsewhere, I don't think you need to stop using Maps or Navigation out of paranoia. Personally, I don't think the new terms are all that much to hot about, it seems like they're simplifying the privacy terms so you don't have 12 different set of terms to be concerned with.

• 8. Re: With new Google terms, how do I delete google apps
    rudie32

Keep in mind they already have data on you now, an assuming you don't cancel your google account, they will use it for the intended purpose they posted about. They just won't get any new data either, but things like foursquare and the like won't work unless you enable location settings. It isn't that big of a deal i think, but i assume whatever i do or post, i have to pretend im doing it in front of my own mother.