9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2012 6:54 AM by celticflame RSS

True UMA calling?  Does it work well?

celticflame

"A key feature that sets the Curve 9360 apart from the recent BlackBerry releases is its support for T-Mobile's UMA-based Wi-Fi calling. Just hook up your phone to the local wireless network, and you can make and answer calls without them being deducted from your plan's monthly allotment of minutes. We were surprised at how well it worked--we were able to hand off calls between Wi-Fi and regular cellular airwaves seamlessly."

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/blackberry-curve-9360-t/4505-6452_7-34864940.html#ixzz1lSqbzPXD

I just read the CNET review mentioning UMA.  Called 611 but they didn't know.  Is this true UMA calling?  Does it work as well as Blackberry UMA of old?

I love my Android camera, GPS and some of the features, but, I sure miss having a good phone and contact manager that work simply every time.

• 1. Re: True UMA calling?  Does it work well?
          tmo_ian

Hey celticflame!

I can definitely understand wanting to have all the information about the device before making a decision.  Any new devices that come out from T-Mobile, including BlackBerry devices, support Wi-Fi Calling. The biggest difference between Wi-Fi Calling and UMA is that Wi-Fi calling cannot guarantee the handoff between Wi-Fi and cellular networks.  On the Android devices, the handoff absolutely won't work.  Since BlackBerry software was designed around UMA and we have reports of it working correctly, you have a very decent possibility of everything working correctly.  If the handoff fails, T-Mobile wouldn't have any troubleshooting to get it working for you.

I hope this helps make things a little clearer.

- Ian

• 2. Re: True UMA calling?  Does it work well?
            celticflame

Thanks for the reply.

Is the WiFi calling/UMA used in the 9360 Curve the same technology as the old Blackberry Curves, the Bold 9900 or something new? 

I never needed support for any Blackberry/UMA released before 2011, and I haven't used the new ones.

• 3. Re: True UMA calling?  Does it work well?
              theartiszan

The newer devices use a different version of wifi calling.

Will sound better then the older version and seems to connect more reliably with out having to you with it.

But does not hand off. If you start a call on wifi will need to stay near the wifi or will drop.

• 4. Re: True UMA calling?  Does it work well?
                celticflame

theartiszan wrote:

The newer devices use a different version of wifi calling.

Will sound better then the older version and seems to connect more reliably with out having to you with it.

But does not hand off. If you start a call on wifi will need to stay near the wifi or will drop.

Do you use this phone?  CNET calls it UMA and addresses the handoff issue.  I loved UMA on Blackberry but Android has been problematic at best.

celticflame wrote:

"... We were surprised at how well it worked--we were able to hand off calls between Wi-Fi and regular cellular airwaves seamlessly."

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/blackberry-curve-9360-t/4505-6452_7-34864940.html#ixzz1lSqbzPXD

Android's are amazing devices but the Blackberry is a far better phone.  At least based on the handsets I've used.  I welcome others experiences.

• 5. Re: True UMA calling?  Does it work well?
                  celticflame

The 9360 manual details UMA on pg 244.  The 9900 manual does not mention either UMA or WiFi calling.

• 6. Re: True UMA calling?  Does it work well?
                    tmo_ian

It is based on the same technology as the older BlackBerries.  The problem with the handoff comes when you are connected to our 3G network.  If you are connected to EDGE or GPRS, usually the handoff will work fine depending on signal levels. We couldn't get the handoff working from Wi-Fi to 3G or vice versa, it will pretty much always drop the call.  To ensure there wasn't any confusion, we labeled it Wi-Fi calling since handoffs aren't supported with Wi-Fi calling.

• 7. Re: True UMA calling?  Does it work well?
                      celticflame

Excellent answer.  Good to know.  Many thanks.

In many ways, this handset appears to be a step backward from the 4G Androids.  As a phone, any of my old Blackberries are far superior to all of the Androids I've used and phone is my primary need.  I would like to hear from some current users.

• 8. Re: True UMA calling?  Does it work well?

To that T-Mobile Rep saying Wifi-Calling, UMA or whatever is going to be supported on all new devices... That's an outright lie. Complete and total pants-on-fire lie. There is absolutlely ZERO truth to what you said.

You can't even get UMA working on your existing phones like the BB9900, HTC Amaze, SGII, etc... but you're here telling us it's a standard feature on all new phones?

None of your new phones carry it and none of the upcoming ones mention it.

The real truth is, you're killing UMA. You haven't put it on ANY of the non-TMo branded Androids or ANY of the new Blackberries.

Your support people have been saying for 7 MONTHS!!! that it is coming for the 9900, and it never happens. You've bbeen saying it's going to happen for the Amaze for 4 MONTHS! yet, there is still nothing about that.

You guys keep playing this game, promising it and never delivering, because some focus group told you that is better than telling us you're killing it off.  What's happened because of it is worse.... You're now no different than any other carrier, except Sprint, VZW, and AT&T have more phone selections.

You want to keep customers? Stop killing your UMA support.  Make it a standard feature and not a hit-or-miss thing.

• 9. Re: True UMA calling?  Does it work well?
                          celticflame

mranonymous1234 wrote:

You want to keep customers? Stop killing your UMA support.  Make it a standard feature and not a hit-or-miss thing.

UMA/WiFi calling is the single feature keeping me with T-Mobile.  WiFi calling at its best is a poor substitute for UMA.  When T-Mobile allowed me to switch handsets I would have chosen the BB 9900 if it had UMA even at additional cost to me.

It's been about a month ago I posted this question and not a single user has responded.  iPhone is not the only reason T-Mobile customers are looking elsewhere and hesitating to re-up.  Wake up T-Mobile ... please!