11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2012 11:21 AM by golfnbeachnut RSS

Why did my phone stop recognizing my sim card?

My phone randomly lost service a few days ago and when I try to access my network settings it prompts me to insert my sim card which is already inserted. Please help me!

• 1. Re: Why did my phone stop recognizing my sim card?
    gandecab

try taking the sim card out and putting it back in.  it may have just lost contact with the connectors.  or the sim card went bad.  go to a TMO store and they can give you a new one for free.

• 2. Re: Why did my phone stop recognizing my sim card?
    tmo_ian

Hey tbartlett92!

Were you able to resolve your issue with gandecab's suggestion?  If so, let us know!

Thanks!

- Ian

• 3. Re: Why did my phone stop recognizing my sim card?

I have the same issue but there is no tmobile store close to me...need help!

Heather

• 4. Re: Why did my phone stop recognizing my sim card?
    tmo_alicia_b

Hi Heather,

Contact us and we can go through some troubleshooting, and if a new SIM card needs to be sent to you, we will be able to mail it to you.

• 5. Re: Why did my phone stop recognizing my sim card?

I contacted customer service and the SIM that I had was for an old phone, they never sent me new one. They also said it would take 10 days for me to get a new one. I live 2 hours away from the nearest TMO store. I was very frustrated that they wouldn't expedite the shipping since there is no close store...10 days with out a phone..thanks

• 6. Re: Why did my phone stop recognizing my sim card?

I have had the same issue now a few times. Back on Feb. 17th my sim card died and I took it to the T-Mo store and they replaced it twice to get it working. Now today it died again so back to the store I went. While there another customer came in with the same Galaxy S 4g in hand with the same problem. After the girl helping me had already wiped my phone clean. (NOT HAPPY ABOUT THAT!!!!!) She did a warranty on my phone so I have to wait for snail mail for my new phone to see if it will even work.

In the mean time the other worker helping the other customer was calling away and he says that it is a problem with our phones IMEI's and that it should be fixed in 72 hours. (DID I MENTION MY PHONE WAS WIPED CLEAN?) Not sure if his explanation is true since this has happened to me before and changing sim card worked. Even though it did not work today.

So I guess I am really wondering if any one else had problems today? By the way I am in the San Diego area.

• 7. Re: Why did my phone stop recognizing my sim card?

Was this issue ever resolved?  Just yestereday, my Samsung Galaxy S (Vibrant) stopped connecting to the T-Mobile network.  When I called T-Mobile, they mentioned some issues with something in Austin, TX which should not have affected me since I am in Dallas, TX.  So, I waited for a few hours.  Called back, talked to a technician who had me remove the sim card and reseat it with no luck.  The technician also had me return this phone which would not recognize the sim card to factory settings.  (NOT FUN!)  I had another Galaxy S which has other issues, put the sim card in this one and it worked!  Now I have 2 Samsung Galaxy S phones.  A working one on the network and one to charge batteries. 

I wonder if a patch was sent to these devices and this is the result?

• 8. Re: Why did my phone stop recognizing my sim card?

Okay, a co-worker with the same phone model uncovered the issue! 

Go to Settings, Wireless & Network, Mobile Networks, Access Point Names.

This should say epc.tmobile.comProxy, Port, User Name, Password, Server should = Not Set

MMSC = http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

MMS Proxy, MMS Port = Not Set

MCC = 260

Authentication Type = None

APN type = Internet + MMS

For the phone not recognizing the sim card, all of this was blank.  Once we set this access point to these values, the phone magically started working!!

• 9. Re: Why did my phone stop recognizing my sim card?

golfnbeachnut: I though it was resolved whith the new replacment phone, but it seems like it is starting again. It starts off where I have no data service then no cell coverage at except for two bars of basic annaolog. I have to re-boot it over and over then it goes to nothing and I have to go in and do what your co-worker didl. Which is what we did at the T-Moblile store back on Febuary 17th. Then it works for sometimes a day or two or like today only a couple hours and bam no data again. I will more than likely if time permits be taking back to T-Mobile store tonight to throw it at somebody. It is really causing problems with my work because I am not getting emails or messages or even phone calls today. It just send calls to voicmail.

Again I think there is a bug in the software because I am not the only one. As I stated in last post there was two other people in the store with the exact same phone with the exact same problems!

• 10. Re: Why did my phone stop recognizing my sim card?

MY phone is till having this issue. I have to turn it off and back on several times. I got a new sim card because that is what tech support said would help but it didnt. It is driving me crazy. I have only had the phone for a year I shouldn't need a new one already...I dont live close to a TMO store (about 2 hours away) so it isn't like I can just pop in and get help. I am tired of it. Also when I go into my text it flashes and kicks me back to the home screen several times. Anybody having that issue?

• 11. Re: Why did my phone stop recognizing my sim card?

Great!  This same problem just happened to me again!!!  ARGH!!  T-Mobile!!!  You are killing us with whatever this issue or patch or software update you are sending over the air!!!!  Stop!