1 2 3 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2012 11:07 PM by aarlene RSS

IPHONE

Does anyone know if t-mobile is going to get the iphone

• 1. Re: IPHONE

Nope... T-Mobile has declared that there are no current plans to host Apple's iPhone.

• 2. Re: IPHONE
            philyew

There are many Iphones in use on the TM network and, in a few locations where TM are converting their 1900 mhz band to support 3G, users are experiencing faster speeds. 

That doesn't mean that TM will carry the iPhone any time in the foreseeable future,  mainly because of the huge commitment that Apple demands (Sprint committed upwards of $15.5 Billion over four years).  However,  people buying the unlocked device direct from Apple may well find that the TM-hosted environment is becoming more friendly.

• 3. Re: IPHONE

Where exactly can you get the iPhone friendly 3G data? That is great news!

• 4. Re: IPHONE
                philyew

Here's the relevant quote from a TmoNews article on the subject:

"First and foremost, the area we’re specifically talking about is Nevada as that is where this individual unlocked iPhone owner lives. However, Nevada, parts of Northern California and the Pacific Northwest are also seeing some pockets of 1900MHz spectrum refarming for HSPA+. There are other parts of the country T-Mobile can refarm the1900MHz spectrum but, the focus is on the Pacific Northwest, Nevada, Utah and California for right now from what we’re told. We should emphasize and emphasize greatly that this post does not mean that all of the aforementioned areas are seeing this refarmed spectrum, just pockets inside those areas."

Whether or not TM decide to go further with this than the analyst suggests remains to be seen.

• 5. Re: IPHONE
                  rudie32

I very much t-mobile spend the MILLIONS of dollars just to carry the iphone used for 3g and 4g network expansion instead. You know, something that will benefit all of us instead a select group of people. (Ask cspire why they don't have an LTE network, originally promised by the end of last year. yup. iphone cost them too much... )

• 6. Re: IPHONE
                    philyew

Since owners,  Deutsche Telekom,  don't really want to invest anything for the long term,  it may be an academic argument about what investment would position TM better for the long term. 

Do you improve the efficiency of the infrastructure to improve margins,  which in turn frees up funds to be more aggressive about attracting new customers?  Or do you go directly for the new customers to increase revenue that funds infrastructure investment?

The first route involves deploying LTE.  The second involves a huge commitment to Apple that won't break even for a couple of years.

The missing ingredient in route one is the short term bounce back in subscription revenue.  TM have been marketing "the largest 4G network" for a long time now,  but have lost over 1 million post - paid subscriptions over the same period.  Conclusion? The image of the network doesn't attract new customers,  while the practical experience has the converse impact of driving existing subscribers away. Ouch!

TM need LTE to get better but need revenue improvements more.  If they can offer 3G service to iPhone users,  then it could have a big impact. If Apple can offer the model built for AT&T without having to add an AWS antenna,  then maybe their asking price will drop significantly.

That's why I'm holding out more hope than the TMONews analyst that the PCS re-farming will be more extensive and 3G on the 1900mhz band might attract both the iPhone on the TM product page and the resulting jump in customers to fund the shift to LTE. 

Here's hoping...

• 7. Re: IPHONE
                      rudie32

T-Mobile's 42Mb network can easily match current LTE download speeds, and with 84Mb coming up, we will be even faster.

If we go to LTE, we will  be stuck with the current 4g network until the LTE network is built. You know how long to get 4g here now? Hah! It will be 2 years in that rate to get equal LTE coverage! No thanks, i will take the same speeds and a much larger network.          

• 8. Re: IPHONE
                        philyew

That may be fine in the short term,  but in the long run when everyone else has LTE deployed and is moving to true 4G - LTE-A - there will be a considerable consequence for TM being mired (relatively speaking) in a technology which is not standards compliant and which may struggle to get past 84mbps because of available spectrum constraints.

While HSPA+ is showing itself broadly competitive for download speeds,  all indicators are that latency and upload speeds are nowhere near as good and they do impact the overall experience.

• 9. Re: IPHONE
                          rudie32

I don't have any problems with pings. Usually around 45-60ms. And with the newer standards for HSPA+ coming up and the reuse of PCS spectrum for HSPA+ (Already in use in some areas) and D.T. saying they are building a 2g shutdown plan, they can easily live on HSPA+ for a while with the added PCS spectrum once unused.

There is no reason for t-mobile to use the same LTE standard in use today. Verizon and At&t are going to have to re-deploy the new LTE standard in a few years to keep up. T-Mobile will just skip to it.  No loss.

But don't think t-mobile doesn't have any LTE plans.. This is on the Samsung S II phone from T-Mobile

http://www.cellphonesignal.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/IMG_20111229_070439.jpg

Yup.. LTE listed..

• 10. Re: IPHONE
                            philyew

It's a very variable experience for me. Pings bounce anywhere between 60-120ms in a strong signal area.  Uploads vary between 200kbps and 1.2mbps.  Downloads barely pass 3mbps in an area where I know 5+ mbps has been possible historically.

I am accessing the 4G network with a device only capable of 7.2mbps download, but the fact that I have seen better historically suggests to me that TM will struggle to be able to sustain consistent high speed delivery when congestion from competing demands increases. The higher the rate of delivery, the more channels will be required to achieve each data stream.

I know that TM is looking for a way forward for LTE.  Rene Obermann,  DT's CEO,  recently said that finding additional spectrum to be ready for LTE deployment in the USA was a priority.  Statements like that are what convince me that they need to act sooner rather than later with the migration. 

My previous responses here were based on the understanding that you and others, such as the TMONews consultant,  don't believe that TM need to do anything right now to move forward with LTE.

• 11. Re: IPHONE
                              rudie32

So your using a 3g phone. That makes a HUGE difference. I know my nexus one (3g) can get around 3Mb/s Absolute MAX, my HD2 (3g) can get 5-6Mb/s easily in the same spot and my 4g phones get 17-25Mb/s.

Not all phones are created equal. For example, Phones made with a 21Mb/s HSPA+ can vary between phone. My dell streak 7, which is 21Mb/s HSPA+ got 2Mb/s most of the time. My HD2 got twice that.

Check out a friend with a 4g phone and see the difference.

• 12. Re: IPHONE
                                philyew

I know there is going to be a huge difference between an HSPA-capable device and an HSPA+ device.  My point is that,  as more HPSA/+ devices are deployed,  I have seen a deterioration in the maximum speeds possible.  I used to see 5+ mbps regularly, but I can't remember the last time now. That will happen progressively for everyone using HSPA+ as the congestion increases.

DT recognize that more spectrum is required. That means investment of some kind,  which is where i came into this discussion - not the relative performance capabilities of HSPA+ and LTE in the short term :)

• 13. Re: IPHONE
                                  philyew

I know there is going to be a huge difference between an HSPA-capable device and an HSPA+ device.  My point is that,  as more HPSA/+ devices are deployed,  I have seen a deterioration in the maximum speeds possible.  I used to see 5+ mbps regularly, but I can't remember the last time now. That will happen progressively for everyone using HSPA+ as the congestion increases.

DT recognize that more spectrum is required. That means investment of some kind,  which is where i came into this discussion - not the relative performance capabilities of HSPA+ and LTE in the short term :)

• 14. Re: IPHONE
                                    rudie32

I've seen 5Mb on my nexus one occasionally but still. I can put in the sim into it anytime and get 2-3Mb/s max (as slow as 1Mb) and then put it in my amaze 4g at the same time and get 4 times that.

1 2 3 Previous Next