12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2011 6:28 AM by tmo_sean_h RSS

sensation 4g will not update

My sensation 4G just wont update. I downloaded the software when i got a prompt. Its approximately a 44mb file. Afetr downloading comes the install now or later screen. After choosing the install now, phone goes into shutdown, restarts but them moves to a screen with a YELLOW TRIANGLE AND A BLUE ANDROID BIRD besides it in the centre. Nothing happens post that. Last night i kept the phone in that state for a good 8 hrs hoping it will update, but nothing.. The only way i can start the phone is by removing the battery and starting the phone again..

Help, how do i update my device???

• 1. Re: sensation 4g will not update
          smplyunprdctble

While I'm uncertain of your situation...

I want to see the Blue Android Bird!

Take pic!

Take pic!

• 2. Re: sensation 4g will not update
            tmo_sean_h

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble updating your HTC Sensation. Let’s take a look and see if we cannot isolate the cause of this issue. We will need to start by getting some more information about your phone. It sounds like you are able to start your phone up, so go ahead (pull the battery if you have to) and start your phone up like normal.

The first thing we need is your available memory (both system and SD card).

To view the amount of free and used space on a memory card, follow these steps:

1. From any Home screen, tap the Menu key.
            2. Tap Settings.
            3. Tap SD & phone storage.
            4. View Total space and Available space on the memory card.

Next, we will need to kno you phones current software and firmware version.

To find the software version on your phone, follow these steps:

1. From any Home screen, tap the Menu   key.
            2. Tap Settings.
            3. Scroll to and tap About phone.
            4. Tap Software information.
            5. We will need both Firmware (Android) version and Software version.

Thank you for contacting T-Force,

sean_h

• 3. Re: sensation 4g will not update

The free space on the SD card is 7.07gb

Android version = 2.3.3

htc sense version = 3.0

software no = 1.29.531.2

• 4. Re: sensation 4g will not update
                tmo_sean_h

How much space is availavle on the phones internal memory?

• 5. Re: sensation 4g will not update

822 mb internal memory..

Can i do a manual update? As in you can send me the physical file or link and i transfer it to the sd card and update///

Also someone was talking about the bootloader locked.. Does something need to be unlocked? Whats this boot loader thing?

• 6. Re: sensation 4g will not update
                    tmo_sean_h

Thank you for checking your memory out for me, and great questions!

The update that you are after cannot be sent to you from T-Mobile in any other way than over the air.

The boot-loader is code that runs on your phone prior to the OS (operating system). It is locked by the OEM (original equipment manufacturer ) to  keep the phone running the way it was designed to, and it is in general something we would not advise you to tamper with.

Have you “rooted” your phone or changed the boot-loader?

Sean_h

• 7. Re: sensation 4g will not update

Nope, i havent done anything of that sort. Its exactly the way it had come from T-mobile.

I am new to android and tbh havent done any digging into any possible modifications.

My big prob right now is that im right now in India, and htc hasnt launched the 4g version here. Hence the local htc service station too wont be able to help me out(not tried with em yet though)

What could possibily be the problem. Is there something else that i can try out?

I have downloaded basic apps from the market place and everythig works gr8. As far as the phone goes, hardware or software, i have no complaints.. Just that i cant update the htc or android software and thats worrying me a bit atm..

• 8. Re: sensation 4g will not update
                        tmo_sean_h

It may be a system cache issue, so let’s clean that out.

The instructions in this document will walk you through cleaning the system cache.

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2265

Let us know what happens.

sean_h

• 9. Re: sensation 4g will not update

No sir, it did not work. I wiped out the cache, did the update again and again i got the white triangle with the yellow exclamation and the blue android thing...

Honestly, now im even more tensed, what should i do??

• 10. Re: sensation 4g will not update
                            tmo_sean_h

I certainly understand how a situation such as this could make you a bit tense, but take solace in the fact that I will do what I can to help you.

The next step in our voyage is to clean the slate in its entirety. A master reset is where we are headed, but we want to make sure you lose as little as possible.

Please follow the steps outlined in this document to prepare your phone for a master reset.

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2521

Once you are ready, please follow the steps outlined in this document to reset your phone to factory conditions.

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1234

Note: once the phone is reset, you may have to wait until the update gets re-downloaded to the phone to apply the update.

sean_h

• 11. Re: sensation 4g will not update

No sean, it did not work..

I wiped out everything, did a re-download, re installed and still it doesnt work..

What can i do next?

• 12. Re: sensation 4g will not update
                                tmo_sean_h

I’m sorry to hear that the steps provided did not seem to resolve your issue, but not all is lost. That means that there might be something wrong with the phones hardware/ firmware. We may need to look at private account or network information so please send me a private message by clicking on my name and under the “Actions” section click “private message,” so I would like to research this further.

sean_h