1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2011 10:54 AM by givensmusic RSS

No More Text Messages When System Memory Above 90%

doug47

It seems I can't recieve messages when I get the "system memory above 90%" warning.  Other than to lower the memory use (and how do I do that?), how can I stop this from happening?  With all the updates to the system, my system memory usage is sitting at 89% and I don't have any more aps to remove.

• 1. Re: No More Text Messages When System Memory Above 90%
    jvmorris

I can usually still get messaging (texting) until I have somewhere between 5 and 10 MB of free system memory and then it quits working. 

Things get really bad when I get down to less than 2 MB.  (At the moment, it says I'm down to 0 MB, once again.)  I am trying to turn off all the automatic updating that I had turned on, but it still seems that some apps are automatically updating (maybe system files?)  The problem is that the updates take up more space than the version of the apps they are replacing (no surprise there).  However, I am also bugged when manually updating and I see something saying the download uses 7 MB and I authorize it only to find out it really needs 10 MB (like the last Skype update I did which is what has currently munged my GARMINfone). 

The simple fact of the matter is that 155 MB of System Memory on the GARMINfone is simply inadequate for most of today's apps.  And, like you I suspect, I'm now down to a very small group of core apps that I am reluctant to uninstall.

I don't care what anyone says, the built-in memory manager on Android 2.1 is inadequate to the task.  It doesn't do what some people insists it does.  I've several utilities that show me running apps (system and user) and I always find a few that I personally don't use or need. I've tried only one third-part app, Memory Booster -- RAM Optimizer Lite -- and that worked for a while, but I've now exceeded what it can do for me and it doesn't matter what it reports, I don't have the apparent free system memory it insists that I do (and yes a lot of apps start up again very shortly anyway). 

Much as I have resisted it, I think I've now come to the point that I'm going to have to root the phone and eliminate all the useless (to me, at any rate) apps like Twitter, FaceBook, and Myspace, none of which I've ever used or have any intention of ever using. 

So, shortly I'm going to have to find a utility that can (safely) be used to root the GARMINfone.  I think there was one listed in the old Forum, but I don't think it made it into the new one, even as a FAQ document.  That's probably not terribly surprising since I doubt T-Mobile wants us to know how to root the phone.

• 2. Re: No More Text Messages When System Memory Above 90%

Doug, I can imagine those messages are frustrating to receive regarding the memory on the phone & not being able to send out messages.   A few good baseline memory management tips for all Android phones is to have no more than 80-100 text messages in the Messaging inbox at any time and also ensure you are clearing your browser cache, cookies and history 2-3 times a week by: (depends on which firmware version you currently have)

1. Android 1.6 firmwre

How to clear the browser cache, cookies, or history

To clear the mobile browser cache, cookies, or history, follow these steps:

1. From the Application tray, tap Settings.  
                        2. Tap Applications.  
                        3. Tap Browser.  
                        4. Scroll to and tap one of the following:
                        • Clear Cache  
                        • Clear History  
                        • Clear Cookies  
                        • Clear Form Data
                            5.   Tap Yes

Browser settings (clear cache, view history) (Android 2.1)

How to clear the browser cache, cookies, or history

To clear the mobile browser cache, cookies, or history, follow these steps:

1. From the Application tray, tap Settings.  
                        2. Tap Browser.  
                        3. Tap one of the following:  
                          • Clear Cache  
                          • Clear History  
                          • Clear Cookies  
                          • Clear Form Data
                        4. Tap Yes.

Tap the Home  key.  
                        1. From the Application tray, tap Stop.  
                        2. To return to navigation, drag the Status bar down, and tap Current Route.
                        3. From the Application tray, tap Browser.  
                        4. Tap the URL bar at the top of the screen.  
                        5. Enter the Web address.  
                        6. Tap the Web page from the list or tap Go when done entering the Web address.  
                        7. Tap the Star  icon to add to your favorites once your site loads.
  • 3. Re: No More Text Messages When System Memory Above 90%
    doug47

I did the test on Sunday, and it was quite obvious.  When I was above 90% usage (got the little disk with a "!" symbol), I could not get text messages.  I could send, but not receive.  When I fiddled with things to get it back to 89% (and the little disk with the "!" went away), I was able to get text messages.

I do think I am leaning towards rooting the phone to get rid of those apps that take up space and I'm not using (the ones you mentioned are on top of my "WTF?" list).

Keep us posted on your search for a goof rooting app for the Garminfone.  There are just so many things about the Garmin I like that I'd hate to have to dump it for another Android phone.

• 4. Re: No More Text Messages When System Memory Above 90%
    doug47

I've done all that (cleared browser, call logs, etc.) and it's STILL AT 89%.  I'm thinking of backing out of some of the "updates" as it was a recent set of Google updates that jumped the memory use from 85% to 89%.

Note that right now, I have NO calls in my call log, NO text messages, all browser stuff has been cleared, and yet I am at 89% System Memory use.

• 5. Re: No More Text Messages When System Memory Above 90%

Doug, it sounds like you are doing all the right things as far as maintenance on the device,  Backing out of the updates MAY resolve the issue but this may call for a full master reset.  Is that something that has been completed recently at all?

• 6. Re: No More Text Messages When System Memory Above 90%
    jvmorris

Amy,

With regards to the above instructions, going in that way isn't clearing anything (although the Settings window for browser would lead you to believe it had) for me.

When I go to the Manage Applications utility, I found I still had 120 kB of Data associated with the browser and I could only clear it from this app.  (But then who knows if this is really working, either?)

As for clearing old text messages, I've never had more than a dozen on my fone at any one time anyway.  At the moment, it appears I have none.

• 7. Re: No More Text Messages When System Memory Above 90%
    doug47

amy_w wrote:

...this may call for a full master reset.  Is that something that has been completed recently at all?

I have NEVER done a "Master Reset".  I did upgrade the phone to Android 2.1 (which worked well), but I've never done the master reset.  How would a master reset change things?  What would I need to make sure was backed up?  I've paid for a number of apps and I would like to be able to reinstall those.

• 8. Re: No More Text Messages When System Memory Above 90%

A master reset will take the device back to the original factory settings.  As far as purchased applications and contacts as long as you have your original gmail email address intially signed into the device those paid for applications will come back to the device, you would need to access the Android Market and simply reinstall.

Master reset

1. Back up all necessary data and synchronize files.
    2. From the Home screen, tap the Menu button.
    3. Tap Settings.
    4. Under the System section, tap Privacy.
    5. Tap Master Clear.
    6. When the popup asks 'Resotore all settings to factory defaults and delete all user data?', tap Delete.
    7. When the popup asks 'This action cannot be reversed...Do you want to continue?', tap Delete.
    8. Wait as the device restarts and displays the startup screens as it resets.

Edited to remove errors

• 9. Re: No More Text Messages When System Memory Above 90%
    doug47

amy_w wrote:

1. See:

Note, when I try to access that document, I get the following error: "You don't have permission to access /docs/DOC-27182 on this server."

• 10. Re: No More Text Messages When System Memory Above 90%
    doug47

amy_w wrote:

A master reset will take the device back to the original factory settings. 

Does that mean Android 1.6?  Does that have any chance of freeing up memory?  I'd hate to do it and find that I am back to 89% memory usage right afterwards (and have to reinstall Android 2.1).

• 11. Re: No More Text Messages When System Memory Above 90%

my apologies, that is an internal document that I needed to remove from my posting. 

• 12. Re: No More Text Messages When System Memory Above 90%
    doug47

amy_w wrote:

my apologies, that is an internal document that I needed to remove from my posting. 

Can we get access to it, or one with similar information?  The title sounds like it might contain VERY useful information.

• 13. Re: No More Text Messages When System Memory Above 90%

Hi Doug!

Here is a public link to the same information: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2521

Enjoy!

• 14. Re: No More Text Messages When System Memory Above 90%
    doug47

amy_w wrote:

A master reset will take the device back to the original factory settings. 

I am just asking, but how would that help?  Would it clean up any memory leaks or other such junk that might be clogging my memory?  Again, my worry is the reset takes me back to 1.6 (not good) AND I still have 89% memory use.

Oh yea, and would it re-lock the phone to T-Mobile?  I had my phone un-network-locked so I could take it overseas and use local SIM cards (the way to do things there) so I could call/text/internet without getting a thousand dollar phone bill).

1 2 Previous Next