1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2012 8:09 AM by philyew RSS

Does it cost extra if i use Wi-Fi Hotspot?

Idk if it costs extra if i use Wi-Fi Hotspot....

  • 1. Re: Does it cost extra if i use Wi-Fi Hotspot?
    deacon

    yes and no it doesn't.  of course if you go over your data limit it WILL cost extra depending on the plan you have but with an unlimited data plan no it doesn't cost extra.

     

    if you're within your data use there's nothing extra you have to pay.  and there's nothing you have to enable when you get the phone so the feature itself is free regardless.

  • 2. Re: Does it cost extra if i use Wi-Fi Hotspot?

    Since you pay for a data plan and the service you're paying for it one way or another.  That is the general answer that you probably didn't want.

     

    I hear T-Mobile will charge you for using the Hot Spot function.  This is an avoidable "tax" in their OEM android distributions.  If you want to pay, by all means.

     

    There is two ways around this.  I hear there are applications (someone chime in) that dodge this without rooting.  They may be against TOS however there is an interesting phenomina that T-Mobile would have to do to prove you bypassed their hotspot.  They'd have to somehow monitor your use in a way that I'm told (even by a T-mobile store rep) voilates wire tapping laws a criminal felony.  So if somehow the hotspot charge ends up on your bill doing this method, please find a way to log your conversation with the T-mobile rep.  The one thing i'd be careful of is to make sure you make it clear on your end this call may be monitored and recorded, period.  Pending what state you're in and the rep, that could be doing the same thing.

     

    The other way is to root your phone and put on a different distribution of android that has internet tethering enabled. 

     

    You're paying for the data plan.  Any service providers attempt to restrict it's use is simply a failed business model; same as cable TV and past attempts for ISP's to charge you extra if you have a router in your home.

  • 3. Re: Does it cost extra if i use Wi-Fi Hotspot?

    T-Mo has every right to monitor your data traffic across the network it owns, and it has every right to deploy measures to detect abuse of its network and resources and protect the integrity of its network.  Any methods used to bypass official methods for tethering are in clear violation of the TOS, and T-Mo can (and apparently does) monitor their network for these violations and can pinpoint that type of unauthorized access (abuse) and the user.  I am not saying this is fair or that I support this, but it's their network and they dictate how it will be accessed.  You have a right to data under their terms, not yours. 

  • 4. Re: Does it cost extra if i use Wi-Fi Hotspot?

    Your phone has the capability to use the wifi and tethering feature. You can use the ability from your phone and it might work for free. If it stops working you would have to add a 14.99 dollar feature that will allow this on tmobiles end. Thats because technically if you want this feature it has to be added. But I honestly have the same phone you do and I use that feature but I have not been charged anything for it. Again, if it stops working for me I would have to call and add it so I can continue to use my wifi sharing and tethering.

  • 5. Re: Does it cost extra if i use Wi-Fi Hotspot?

    I don't know if it says this on the reply but I'm using 3 devices and paying around 297 for service with TMO.

     

    I am currently using

    Mytouch3gSlide w/ 2GB Data which is almost payed off,

    Jet w/ 5GB Data bound in a wonderfully annoying 2 year agreement

    and Mytouch4gSlide w/ 10GB Data.no contract paying installments.

     

    Keep in mind that's about 17GB of data i'm paying monthly

    and about oh i'd say about an hour ago TMO decides to turn off my hotspot from my 10GB plan until I agree to pay them also $14.99 monthly to use WiFi Hotspot.

     

    I hope this answers your question. I now have to go back to T Mobile and complain. paying about 300 a month to this company is a little too much to shell out for a 10 year loyal customer.

     

  • 6. Re: Does it cost extra if i use Wi-Fi Hotspot?
    smplyunprdctble

    Really?

    You're going to complain because you were going against your agreement and they caught up with you?

    It's all over that you have to pay $15 to tether.

     

    There's significantly better plans out there if you need a laptop stick.  Clear, potentially, for instance.  Then you can drop your data plans down.

     

    Oh wait.  You'll then complain the extension of your contract due to the data change.

  • 7. Re: Does it cost extra if i use Wi-Fi Hotspot?

    smplyunprdctble wrote:

     

    Really?

    You're going to complain because you were going against your agreement and they caught up with you?

    It's all over that you have to pay $15 to tether.

     

    There's significantly better plans out there if you need a laptop stick.  Clear, potentially, for instance.  Then you can drop your data plans down.

     

    Oh wait.  You'll then complain the extension of your contract due to the data change.

     

    Given that the phone with a T-Mobile logo on it offers the tethering feature (Don't like it, T-Mobile? Then take it out of the phone OS before selling it to the customer.) and the customer is paying for his data each month regardless of where and how he uses it (Don't like it, T-Mobile? Then don't sell data plans at all.) I don't really see where you get off getting in his face for how he chooses to use his data pipe.

     

    I pay for my data. If I want to download that data I paid for to my phone, that's up to me. If I want to tether my laptop and use that instead, that is also up to me. My phone allows tethering without an additional fee (and if one pops up in my bill there will be hell to pay). I'm the one cutting the check to T-Mobile each month for the data pipe. How I use it is my business, not yours and not theirs.

     

    And I wouldn't wish Clear on my worst enemy. If you like fraud, customer abuse, and flat out lying about their connection speeds, feel free to try them out. I used them for two months. I paid for 3MB service and NEVER ONCE broke .8MB. They were in clear violation of their contractual agreement for the entire time I was a customer, and I STILL had to have a lawyer draft a threatening letter before they released me. I went back to Time Warner for my internet and It's been great ever since. (The only reason I left them for Clear in the first place was that the TWC rep told me they didn't offer an internet-only plan. Since my wife and I don't watch TV, there was no reason to pay for channels. Turns out, they DO offer such a plan, and it is GOOD!)

     

    The bottom line, though, is that T-Mobile has something of a history of acting heavy handed with people over data usage-- and to be fair they then usually flip over and offer the easiest, cheapest, and most effective data plans once the customers ask for it loudly enough. I'm with T-Mobile because, even though it's not the best service in a few of the places I go for work, it's incredibly cost-effective. I can't match their plan with anyone else, and believe me: I tried.

     

    If you buy a Mountain Dew, does PepsiCo get to tell you what cup to drink it out of and where to drink it? Of course not, and it's absurd that ANY cell provider tries to tell you where and how you can use the data connection you're paying them for.

     

    T-Mobile only gets to charge you for WHAT you use, not HOW you use it. McDonald's is not going to complain if you buy a cheeseburger and stuff it up your nose instead of in your mouth. (I'd pay to see that, actually.) As long as the manner in which you use a product does not increase their cost as a provider, there is no reason to deny your right to use it as you wish.

     

    What's next? Are they going to start approving the sites you surf? Your home page on your phone must be the T-Mobile mall? They'll throttle back your data if they think you're using too much of it? About how long do you think they would last as a communications company if they continued to follow that business model?

     

    Ask Clear. "Using your Clear equipment during peak hours may subject you to excessive data use charges. Consult your contract plan for these rates."

     

    THAAAAAT would be the sound of receivership. T-Mobile has its flaws, but they are WAY smarter than the clowns at Clear.

     

    ~D.

  • 8. Re: Does it cost extra if i use Wi-Fi Hotspot?

    Your post is so wrong in so many ways.

    coachwade wrote:

    ....

    I pay for my data. If I want to download that data I paid for to my phone, that's up to me. If I want to tether my laptop and use that instead, that is also up to me. My phone allows tethering without an additional fee (and if one pops up in my bill there will be hell to pay). I'm the one cutting the check to T-Mobile each month for the data pipe. How I use it is my business, not yours and not theirs.

    .....

    No, it's not up to you how you access and use the data service you pay for.  T-Mo makes that decision for you when you agree to their terms.  You agree to use their data service according to their terms, not yours.  You can cry and whine and post poor analogies all day.  The fact is, when you use T-Mo's network, you abide by their terms, not the terms you feel you need to abide.

     

    I'll edit to say that if the phone is subsidized, T-Mo can load any app on the device.  If you don't like it, buy from another carrier, or pay full price and modify the phone in such a way as to delete the offending app.

     

    Enjoy.

  • 9. Re: Does it cost extra if i use Wi-Fi Hotspot?
    smplyunprdctble

    You said it yourself!

     

    coachwade wrote:

     

    T-Mobile only gets to charge you for WHAT you use, not HOW you use it. McDonald's is not going to complain if you buy a cheeseburger and stuff it up your nose instead of in your mouth. (I'd pay to see that, actually.) As long as the manner in which you use a product does not increase their cost as a provider, there is no reason to deny your right to use it as you wish.

     

    Computers use the Internet in a different manner than SmartPhones.

    It can most definitely cost T-Mobile MORE to use data through a PC than through the phone itself due to the throughput demanded.

     

    So, T-Mobile's costs go up during tethering.  Why not push them down to the consumer?

  • 10. Re: Does it cost extra if i use Wi-Fi Hotspot?
    gramps28

    Given this analogy then all the PPV channels on my Dishnetwork receiver

    should also be free since I pay my usual monthly bill.

    coachwade wrote:

     

    Given that the phone with a T-Mobile logo on it offers the tethering feature

     

  • 11. Re: Does it cost extra if i use Wi-Fi Hotspot?
    21stnow

    Carrucan beat me to it.  I was going to say the same thing.  You do have rights as a customer.  Your right is to do business with companies that have policies that you agree with.  T-Mobile has had their tethering policy in the terms of service for a while now, longer than any contract that is still valid.  If you don't like the tethering policy, you don't do business with T-Mobile.  If you do business with T-Mobile, you don't dictate those terms, as they have already been dictated and are not negotiable.

     

    To continue with a "bad analogy", If I walk into a GM dealer and pay $30,000 for a Chevrolet Impala that has OnStar equipment already on board, I can't demand that I get all of the OnStar services that I want without paying an additional fee.  The terms and conditions have already stated that I have to pay an additional subscription fee to use the service, even though the option is in the car.  I couldn't demand that GM uninstall it.  It's up to me to buy another car that doesn't have OnStar equipment if I have a problem with this policy.

  • 12. Re: Does it cost extra if i use Wi-Fi Hotspot?

    carrucan_of_kurrajong wrote:

     

    Your post is so wrong in so many ways.

    coachwade wrote:

    ....

    I pay for my data. If I want to download that data I paid for to my phone, that's up to me. If I want to tether my laptop and use that instead, that is also up to me. My phone allows tethering without an additional fee (and if one pops up in my bill there will be hell to pay). I'm the one cutting the check to T-Mobile each month for the data pipe. How I use it is my business, not yours and not theirs.

    .....

    No, it's not up to you how you access and use the data service you pay for.  T-Mo makes that decision for you when you agree to their terms.  You agree to use their data service according to their terms, not yours.  You can cry and whine and post poor analogies all day.  The fact is, when you use T-Mo's network, you abide by their terms, not the terms you feel you need to abide.

     

    I'll edit to say that if the phone is subsidized, T-Mo can load any app on the device.  If you don't like it, buy from another carrier, or pay full price and modify the phone in such a way as to delete the offending app.

     

    Enjoy.

     

    I beg your pardon? You have a lot to learn about basic economics, my friend. The fact is, my contract with T-Mobile specifies data usage, it does not specify how that usage is to take place. If I can carry the data in a frickin' BUCKET that is my right as a consumer. Your contract may be different, but when I pay the bills, I use the product my way, and you don't HAVE to enjoy it, but that's the way it is.

     

    In point of fact, I pay PRECISELY so that I have access to data on my own terms. If you are willing to pay hard earned dollars under any other circumstances then... wow. Wear a helmet next time.

     

    Your comment about the app is irrelevant. T-Mobile left the app in place. The assumption is that it is to be used. I don't have any problem with the application, and YOU are the one desperately trying to prevent its use.

     

    I agreed to use their data service according to MUTUAL TERMS and using the DEVICE THEY SOLD ME. That device has a piece of software on it that allows tethering. The fact that the tethering might increase their data load is irrelevant: I pay for that amount of data each month. They agree to provide it. Period. Case closed. My money, my way. It's not tough to figure out.

     

    The fact is, if T-Mobile wants to keep me paying money every month, they will darn well do as they're told when it comes to my accounts and services or I'll find a company that will. See, that's called "demand." Companies that don't figure that out swiftly tend to... turn out like Clear.

     

    I think I see why you can't understand my analogies. Enjoy.

     

    @smplyunprdctble:

     

    T-Mobile's costs go up when you use more data, but that is irrelevant. If they sell you a 5GB data plan and you use 1GB, it's cheap. They're happy: they only had to provide 1/5th of the data they are contractually obligated to provide to you.

     

    Networks are set up with the assumption that 90% of users aren't using them at any given moment. Think of what happens in catastrophes when everyone tries to dial out: no one can get through. Why? Network can't handle it.

     

    However, YOU PAY so the network can handle it.I don't have any sympathy for T-Mobile's network. They're making a killing selling people 25% of the access for 400% of the price.

     

    Lack of hardware capable of handling the load sold by contract was the root of the 1999 US Court v America Online Lawsuit. (Look it up, carruccan. It's one of the reasons why you're wrong.) AOL sold unlimited access when it couldn't physically provide it. Right now, T-Mobile is selling access to users with the understanding that there's no way on earth they can actually use it. If they DID, T-Mobile's network would collapse.

     

    So last month you used 1GB of data. This month, you tether and you use 4GB of data. Still under your allowed amount, BY CONTRACT. Still less than T-Mobile is obligated BY CONTRACT to provide to you, but their costs increased 300%. NOW they get cranky and tell you that you can't use the data in that manner EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE STILL NOWHERE NEAR YOUR ACTUAL DATA LIMIT.

     

    You're paying to be provided 5GB. Carruccan can cry and whine (his words) about reality and continue to pay MORE than he should for everything, or he can learn some simple supply and demand economics. (Hey carruccan, I have a candy bar for you. I'm only going to give you 1/4th of it, and you have to eat it through your ear and it'll cost $35. Sound like a good deal to you? Yeeeeeeah, it's as logical as your argument is. Wait, other people sell you candy bars without ridiculous restrictions on how you eat them? They let you eat the WHOLE thing? You're going to give THOSE people money instead? Congratulations, you now understand reality.)

     

    This is why this discussion is complete BS on T-Mobile's side (and by association, on carrucan's side as well). Until you cross that data threshold, you have NOT violated the terms of the useage agreement because you're still using less than 5GB of data. (To explain the analogy he just can't figure out: you paid for your hamburger. You're only eating 1/5th of it.)

     

    In fact, if you DON'T use the full 5GB of data each month that your contract specifies, you're actually paying more than you need to pay. T-Mobile doesn't seem to be upset about that, and neither is carruccan for some unusual reason. It's only a problem when you want to get your data in YOUR way.

     

    @Gramps: Oh please. I credit you with more intelligence than that. Data isn't a premium service when you're already paying for it. Extra channels on your Dish Network box ARE a premium service. They are NOT included in your plan. Analogy Fail.

     

    Here's a better analogy: "By that logic, T-Mobile shouldn't charge for text messages, either, because the app for SMS is included on the phone." THAT's what you should have said. See, both SMS and data are services T-Mobile offers. Both are standard services typically included in basic phone plans. Both are primary functions of smartphone use. The only question then is where TETHERING falls in that spectrum.

     

    And my reply is the same as it is for data: "I pay for SMS messaging, just like I pay for data, so how I use it-- such as if I were to use SMS to check a weather service and receive a text report sent to my COMPUTER-- is my own business."

     

    You're paying for 5GB of data on your phone. That's paid for. Money's spent. If you only want to use 1GB, that's cool. Thanks for keeping the network clear for the rest of us.

     

    The REALLY dumb part of this is that there's no additional fees for CABLE TETHERING, just WiFi tethering. Why? Cable tethering is physical. WiFi is software driven, which means T-Mobile can actually track it. In other words, it has nothing at all to do with how much strain it puts on the network, and everything to do with whether or not T-Mobile can see you doing it and therefore bill you for something YOU ALREADY PAID FOR!

     

    Okay, I'm done with this thread. I've said my piece and I know a few of you just aren't going to let it die. That's fine. Live how you want to live. I have better things to do than teach 4th grade econ to people who are (presumably) adults.

     

    You all have a nice time now.

     

    ~D.

  • 13. Re: Does it cost extra if i use Wi-Fi Hotspot?

    21stnow wrote:

     

    Carrucan beat me to it.  I was going to say the same thing.  You do have rights as a customer.  Your right is to do business with companies that have policies that you agree with.  T-Mobile has had their tethering policy in the terms of service for a while now, longer than any contract that is still valid.  If you don't like the tethering policy, you don't do business with T-Mobile.  If you do business with T-Mobile, you don't dictate those terms, as they have already been dictated and are not negotiable.

     

    To continue with a "bad analogy", If I walk into a GM dealer and pay $30,000 for a Chevrolet Impala that has OnStar equipment already on board, I can't demand that I get all of the OnStar services that I want without paying an additional fee.  The terms and conditions have already stated that I have to pay an additional subscription fee to use the service, even though the option is in the car.  I couldn't demand that GM uninstall it.  It's up to me to buy another car that doesn't have OnStar equipment if I have a problem with this policy.

     

    Analogy fail, AGAIN. YOU HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR THE DATA, ALL T-MOBILE IS TRYING TO CHARGE YOU FOR IS THE DELIVERY!

     

    So, using YOUR wrong-headed analogy, if you buy a car with Onstar and PAY FOR THE SERVICE, but you call the On-Star emergency number from your cell phone, THEY GET TO BILL YOU A SECOND TIME BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT USING THE EQUIPMENT IN YOUR CAR!

     

    If you did NOT pay for ONSTAR then you don't get the service. Your analogy is an epic fail because, ahem:

     

    YOU ALREADY PAID FOR IT! YOU'RE PAYING FOR DATA ALREADY!

     

    YOU ALREADY PAID FOR IT! YOU'RE PAYING FOR DATA ALREADY! YOU ALREADY PAID FOR IT! YOU'RE PAYING FOR DATA ALREADY! YOU ALREADY PAID FOR IT! YOU'RE PAYING FOR DATA ALREADY! YOU ALREADY PAID FOR IT! YOU'RE PAYING FOR DATA ALREADY!

     

    Good lord, you people really need THIS LINK.

     

    I'm done. My blood pressure seriously can't handle this much obtuseness. I keep looking around for the Candid Camera people.

     

    You.

    Paid.

    For.

    XXXX.

    Amount.

    Of.

    Data.

     

    How.

    You.

    Get.

    It.

    Is.

    Up.

    To.

    You.

     

    By the way, tethering charges are expressly NOT in my contract. We've been T-Mobile customers for a very long time. So this conversation is absurd on a number of levels, not just what your side has been bringing to the table and calling a "supportive argument."

     

    ~D.

  • 14. Re: Does it cost extra if i use Wi-Fi Hotspot?
    smplyunprdctble

    From the Terms & Conditions:

     

    11. * Data Plans and Other Features. You will be charged for data usage on a pay per use basis unless you are required to maintain a data plan ("Data Plan") as part of your Service, or as otherwise provided by your Rate Plan or prepaid data pass. Permissible and Prohibited Uses: Your Data Plan is intended for Web browsing, messaging, and similar activities on your Device and not on any other equipment. Unless explicitly permitted by your Data Plan, other uses, including for example, using your Device as a modem or tethering your Device to a personal computer or other hardware, are not permitted. Other examples of prohibited uses can be found in Section 18.

    Sorry to say, but it is in your contract.

     

    That is why there's a SEPARATE Tethering option.

1 2 Previous Next