1 2 3 Previous Next 204 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2012 8:12 AM by unifiedac Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Any word on Gingerbread for Galaxy S 4G?

Just curious if there was any word on the Gingerbread uptade for the Galaxy S 4G. Samsung approved it and it started rolling out to European carriers.

Thanks!

  • 1. Re: Any word on Gingerbread for Galaxy S 4G?

    yes I feel outdated we need an update!

  • 2. Re: Any word on Gingerbread for Galaxy S 4G?

    I would say mid august or late september.

  • 3. Re: Any word on Gingerbread for Galaxy S 4G?
    kalel33

    joshdollins wrote:

     

    yes I feel outdated we need an update!

    How do you feel outdated?  What features on 2.3 are you salivating for, other than the phone stating that the firmware is 2.3.  I went from 2.2 to 2.3 on the same phone(rooted and custom ROM) but really, except for the geeks that know the settings and extra options, nobody else would be able to discern the difference.  Even then, the changes are small.

  • 4. Re: Any word on Gingerbread for Galaxy S 4G?

    I'm running a 2.2 ROM with Touchwiz 4.5 that makes Gingerbread look boring. It's not about version numbers, it's all about what you can do with your current setup.

  • 5. Re: Any word on Gingerbread for Galaxy S 4G?

    kalel33 wrote:

     

    joshdollins wrote:

     

    yes I feel outdated we need an update!

    How do you feel outdated?  What features on 2.3 are you salivating for, other than the phone stating that the firmware is 2.3.  I went from 2.2 to 2.3 on the same phone(rooted and custom ROM) but really, except for the geeks that know the settings and extra options, nobody else would be able to discern the difference.  Even then, the changes are small.

    While That may be True, I would Really Like to Run NetFlix & Hulu from my Device, and I was Thinking That Since the Nexus S Has it Working due to The New 2.3 Kernal, then Gingerbread would be a Good Improvement =).

  • 6. Re: Any word on Gingerbread for Galaxy S 4G?

    Look for Netflix in the Market. It is already supported for the SGS4G froyo.

  • 7. Re: Any word on Gingerbread for Galaxy S 4G?
    kalel33

    ssmokey727 wrote:

     

    Look for Netflix in the Market. It is already supported for the SGS4G froyo.

    Yep, with the latest update to the Netflix app the SGS4 is now on the list of compatible.  Go ahead and download it.  As for HULU, it's more up to the developer to allow the phone to work on phones that they've deemed ready, which 2.3 won't cure.

  • 8. Re: Any word on Gingerbread for Galaxy S 4G?

         YES! Finally I Can Get Some VidStream Justice on my SGS4! =D I had Previously Downloaded this Paid App Called TV Shows Stream from the Android Market, but it Appears to have been Removed with No More Support for it! Nice to see My Netflix Membership Ported to my Device! =D

         Hopefully HULU will soon Catch on.......I figured that one would have been 1st as I have been with Them Longer! For me Netflix + HULU + DSL  = Gigantic Savings over Cable [$50 Bucks/Monthly] =D Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Have a Great Day =). 

  • 9. Re: Any word on Gingerbread for Galaxy S 4G?

    Could someone from T-Mobile please answer this question officially? To repeat: "...any word on the Gingerbread uptade for the Galaxy S 4G?"

     

    Thanks

  • 10. Re: Any word on Gingerbread for Galaxy S 4G?
    tmo_tim

    I know that waiting, anticipation, and uncertainly can be very tough but please be assured we will  post any official announcements regarding the Galaxy S 4G if they become available.

     

    Thank you!

  • 11. Re: Any word on Gingerbread for Galaxy S 4G?

    Thank you for your comment.

    I am sure that T-Mobile will post if they become available, however the question was: is there any word on Gingerbread for Galaxy 4G?

     

    We would surly appreciate if someone could share with us: if it is going to happend at all? And of course, is this going to happend in a month or a year? Also is it going to be pushed from T-Mobile or is it downloadable to be instaled via Kies. Also, Samsung Galaxy S is not recognised by Kies software on my Windows 7 64 bit PC!!!

     

    Could you at least tell us if T-Mobile US is working on one?

     

    Thank you so much!

  • 12. Re: Any word on Gingerbread for Galaxy S 4G?

    mmihalj wrote:

     

    Thank you for your comment.

    I am sure that T-Mobile will post if they become available, however the question was: is there any word on Gingerbread for Galaxy 4G?

     

    We would surly appreciate if someone could share with us: if it is going to happend at all? And of course, is this going to happend in a month or a year? Also is it going to be pushed from T-Mobile or is it downloadable to be instaled via Kies. Also, Samsung Galaxy S is not recognised by Kies software on my Windows 7 64 bit PC!!!

     

    Could you at least tell us if T-Mobile US is working on one?

     

    Thank you so much!

     

    Go to Settings > About Phone and look for the Build number at the bottom. Does it say KD1? If so, no need for the Kies update because you are already updated. It works on my 64bit Win7 laptop, but only with KC1 devices.

  • 13. Re: Any word on Gingerbread for Galaxy S 4G?

    Thank you Tim for your response.  Tmobile could aleviate the uncertainty by at least saying that 'Yes, T-Mobile USA is currenlty working on the Firmware release for the Samsung Galaxy S 4g, and we'll be making an announcement about timing soon'. 

     

     

    To answer the question of why am I interested in 2.3, one word: Skype.  The users I support would like to be able to use the front facing camera to have a for real video chat using Skype on the cell phone.  2.2 allows for Skype video chat, but it is presently limited to the back camera.  Which, unless you want to use a mirror, is functionally useless.

     

     

    In my searching I've found a number of sites with instructions on how to update the firmware yourself without waiting for Tmobile USA to push it.  I'm geeky enough to attempt it on my phone, but am a bit skiddish about doing it with supervisors phone.  

  • 14. Re: Any word on Gingerbread for Galaxy S 4G?

    Running 2.2.1 and actually... watching Netflix RIGHT NOW on it... Ironically I was watching an episode of American Pickers while browsing the forums...


    They released it for the phone like a month ago.. just download from the market

     

    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.netflix.mediaclient&feature=search_result&pli=1

     

    ****
    EDIT

    ***

     

    After replying I was like hey I want HULU..

     


    Its not available for the Samsung anything just yet, regardless of your android version.

     

    You CAN get Netflix right now however and it works GREAT.. I use it and MSNBC everyday.... and Youtube of course.

1 2 3 Previous Next